Wifi disconnects after a few seconds
jim4flyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having trouble staying connected to WiFi on my Samsung Galaxy S6.  This has been going on for several weeks.  I have noticed this problem at home as well as on public WiFi.  The phone will connect to WiFi for a few seconds and then disconnect, it will never stay connected for more than 2 or 3 minutes, usually less than a minute. I usually have to manually reconnect to get it to say connected for a few seconds or a minute or 2 again...maybe long enough to view a page or something.  Sometimes it will reconnect by itself, but again disconnects.  I have tried just about every setting I can find on the phone and reset the wireless settings...  I have even turned off 2.4 GHZ on my router at home thinking it might be an issue switching between 2.4 and 5.  Have tried the phone in airplane mode thinking it was something to do with trying to switch between WiFi and data.  Nothing I do seems to help.  Running Android 7.0 showing security patch level December 1, 2017.  Anyone else experience anything similar?

Tags (2)
Re: Wifi disconnects after a few seconds
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Are you using the security app from Verizon? There was a problem with this app blocking wifi connections

because it thought that it was a threat. If you are using it try to see if you can go into the settings

and tell it to ignore your home wifi. What type of router do you have. Sometimes on a home router you can block someone from using it. Go through your settings to make sure it is not blocking you.

jim4flyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not using security app.  Not being blocked on the router.  I don't recall any apps that were installed around that time, but I think there was an OS / Security update not too long before the issue.  There has been at least one OS / Security update since.  I am not sure it is working on any network at this time, I have had the same problem the last few places I have tried WiFi.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

This was a common problem back a couple of months ago. I know with the S7 they had the same problem then they sent out a patch that fixed a lot of the complaints.Have you tried going into settings-backup and reset.Then go down to reset network settings. This should make the phone like new as far as the bluetooth and wifi settings. This will not reset the whole phone but may help with the issues you are having.Is this what you meant by when you said reset wireless settings? Have you gone through some of the old threads to see if someone in there has found an answer? Whatever it is I hope you can find the answer soon. I feel the same way as you with not being able to connect to wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with your wifi staying connected. I rely on wifi all the time and want your phone to allow this connection as well. We appreciate you completing all of those steps so far. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. Have you tested the phone in safe mode, http://spr.ly/6580DKaqY? Safe mode will disable third party apps to see if they are causing any issues. Please also reset your network settings to see if this makes a difference, http://spr.ly/6581DKaql.

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JMARGO5441
Enthusiast - Level 1

I continue to have this issue with the Galaxy S8 which is 3 months old. My visits to the Verizon store for support have been fruitless because the minute I walk into that store, the phone connects to their WiFi. I can be sitting within 5 feet of the router in my home and the phone disconnects within 5 seconds. This is most frustrating. I followed the suggestions made from other commentators but to no avail. Today's agenda? Go back to Verizon and hope for the best....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JMARGO5441,

We never want your device to cause you any frustration. I know it's vital that your phone connects to Wi-Fi and I'll be happy to help fix this. Is your home Wi-Fi connection the only connection that's disconnecting after a certain time? Is this happening with other devices that try to connect to your home's Wi-Fi?

JuanD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Outside of switching due to weak WiFi signals, I discovered that my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S7 Edge will switch back and forth between WiFi spots if the phones heat up internally....as in cranking up the display to full brightness for long periods of time. Once the units cool down, they seem to be able to stay locked onto a WiFi signal.

joshuat_vzw
Verizon Employee

That is a very odd issue, Dexman. Could you please provide us with what troubleshooting steps that you have attempted to resolve this issue? Do you know if you're consuming data/Wi-Fi at an alarming rate when this happens?

JoshuaT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Joshuat_vzw,

My post wasn't a request for help. It was an observation to the topic.

Troubleshooting involves cranking up the display on both phones to full brightness,  the phones heat up, observe the phones switch back & forth between my two WiFi spots, then, reducing the brightness, the phones cools down and resume being able to lock onto a WiFi source without switching.

I keep 4G/LTE disabled in my S7 Edge at all times unless it is needed, and the SIM card has been removed from my S4, so, my monthly mobile data consumption is pretty much "0".