incapatability of Antivirus apps
catman0326

I have been having issues with the telephone part of my phone. When a call comes in the ringer sometimes does not ring but the call comes in and is logged. When this happens the ringer is turned on and the volume turned all the way up. The other issue I have been having is when you call to get your voice mail or a number that requires you to input a pin number or password my screen goes black when you attempt to type in the numbers on the key pad. I am on call 24 hours a day with the railroad so this is not a good situation for me. The last time I experienced the issues I took my phone to a Verizon corporate store where the manager investigated my phone and apps. He immediately removed the AVG antivirus app I had installed on my phone and told me that was probably the issue. He went on to say that it was not necessary to have an antivirus app on an android phone as the android operating system is an antivirus program. Since he removed the AVG app I have had no issues with my phone and the key pad now works normally. My question is: was this the problem with my phone and is this a known issue? Does this guy know what he's talking about?

0 Likes
Re: incapatability of Antivirus apps
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't heard of AVG causing those kinds of issues; I've used it on a couple of phones with no problems.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen issues like that on a S4 with AVG installed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I use AVG on my S4 on another carrier and haven't had this problem.  Now my situation has some differences, as my ringer volume is never turned all the way up, and I rarely receive calls on that phone.  When I have received calls, I can answer them with no problems, though.  I'll have to try calling a number that requires me to enter information after I call to see what happens.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi catman0326,

Thanks for reaching out. A working phone is always important. I do agree with the manager of our store it is not needed on your phone.  I also have not seen a problem with the app either causing those issues.  A lot of times, the fix is simple delete and reinstall the app.  The version of the app could have also been the issue.  I would attempt to install it again if you want to. If the problem does persist, you may want to try a different anti virus app. We do offer our own app called VZ Security. I hope this helps.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
catman0326

BobbyS_VZW

Thanks for the input. I feel safer with the virus protection on my phone

however it is grounds for dismissal at BNSF Railway Company if you miss a

call for work. I have missed two calls, both because my ringer did not

function on my phone. I have a hearing with BNSF to go to for the missed

calls and I'm not sure what the outcome is going to be.

After removing the AVG antivirus app no more issues. The manager told me

that he has seen other issues similar to mine caused by the virus

protection on android phones.

My wife has the same phone and it also had AVG antivirus on her phone same

issues. She removed it, now no more issues.

I asked the manager for a letter basically stating that after removing the

virus protection my issues went away but he refused saying that I would

have to have my union rep contact the Verizon legal department and request

a letter. Unfortunately, I don't have months to pursue this and I was only

asking for him to put his observations and professional opinion in the

letter. I am disappointed that Verizon could not help me by documenting

this issue so as I could explain my situation with my employer.

Sincerely,

Robert >Personal info removed<

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

There are so many other Anti Virus apps out there that work on your phone. I do agree with you that AV apps should be on your phone as there are a lot of virus's out there for Androids. I have used and still use Lookout Mobile Security on all of my phones. I went as far as testing this app with an old phone I had both with leaving the app off of my phone and introducing Virus's or other Malware and all of them took and infected the phone. After putting the app back on the phone, it caught ALL of the bad stuff almost immediately, and told me which apps were infected to begin with.

I have tried AGV, AVAST, McCafee and a few others in the same way and most of them missed simple malware.  Give Lookout a try. It is free in the app store and uses very little in the way of resources.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

catman0326,

Thank you for getting back to us. I am sorry that the manager was unable to provide you the documentation that you are looking for. Being that the antivirus app was not offered through us there could be legal implications if we state that the cause of your issues were purely based on that app. We do understand the need for work proof, but the legal department would be the best route for us to provide that kind of opinion. If you do need anymore assistance please reach out to us.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes