why does my phone not charge?
debkell1

Every time I plug my phone in, I get a message that says "To charge faster, use the charger that came with the phone."  I AM using the charger that came with the phone.  I leave it plugged in all night and when I wake up, it will be on 30% with no indicator that it has been charging. 

0 Likes
Re: why does my phone not charge?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

debkell1,

Let's get you a fully charged phone. Does this happen with all chargers. Car or wall charger? Does it only charge up to 30% at the most? Do you have issues with the cable if you were to plug it into the computer?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mary2125
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Samsung Galaxy S3 is having the same problem.  I have plugged it in with 3 different chargers and in several different outlets, including my car and laptop, with the same results.  The phone will appear to be going in and out of charging mode, making beeping sounds.  A few days ago, it did charge back up to 100% after being on the charger, & frequently turning it off, for over 24 hours, but it lost the charge quickly after talking on the phone and texting for a couple of hours.  Since then, it has not regained a full charge.  A few times, I took the battery out for a couple of hours.  Currently, it has been on the charger for 2 nights and 2 days, having been turned off for several hours at a time, and it's only charged up to 45%.  I will be eligible for an upgrade in 4 days, so I'm just trying to get this phone to hold on until then.  Is there any way the battery will fully charge again?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Take the battery out. Hold the power button for a few seconds. Let it sit for a while. Then put the battery back in. It worked for me. I left mine overnight without the battery by accident but it worked. Not sure how long should leave it. I would try at least 10-30 minutes.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mary2125 we'll get you charged up! Has there been any changes to the device since this issue started such as new apps or software updates? Are any of the chargers from the manufacturer?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mary2125
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think there have been some new apps and software updates.  I think I also changed some of the settings, like turning off sync, thinking that would save the battery.  I also signed up for text message specials from a couple of stores.   I'm using 2 different chargers, both from the manufacturer, Samsung.  I also tried the advice from Tidbits.  The first time it worked and charged up to 100%, but as soon as I started using the phone again, it started losing power quickly.  I've had it on the charger for 2 nights & 2 days again, except for a few times when I took the battery out again & then put it back in.  It still is not charging.  In fact, it keeps losing power, even with the phone turned off and plugged in.  It says it's charging, but is losing power.  It was all the way down to 18% the last time I checked it.   Also, when I checked the data usage, it was showing a high percentage of data usage & I haven't used any data for more than a few minutes in the last few days.   I'm eligible for an upgrade today, but was kind of hoping to hold out for a few more days so I can upgrade to the new Note 4.  Also, I was hoping the phone still works, so I can either sell it or trade it in.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for these details mary2125. Please try running phone in Safe Mode for 24 hours, which disables 3rd party applications, to see if that may be an issue. http://vz.to/1lyMqiz You will be able to use as normal while in Safe Mode. If battery improves, it can be an app causing this problem.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
debkell1

My phone will charge up to 100% but it takes 8 or 9 hours to do so.  I have tried both of my Samsung chargers and my car charger.  I haven't used my phone but about 4 times today and I'm at 32%.  When I put my phone on the charger, sometimes it will shut off and the screen will flash.  Sometimes, my screen just freezes or it vibrates on its own.  It's just acting weird.

0 Likes
mary2125
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, VanessaS.  I will try that.  I had the phone turned off last night and on the charger, but this morning it was down to 2%.  I thought about getting an inexpensive battery to get by until I decide which phone I want to upgrade to and so I can still make some calls.  Your answer was helpful.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Try Charging your phone in the off position if you can, that way the phone can charge without anything running in the Background and shorten the charge time..