why doesnt unit switch down to 3G when 4G is unreliable?
wlb3890

I get very unreliable phone service using 4G. I have another phone that has 3G and the service is very good in my area. Why doesn't Samsung Galaxy 4 switch to 3G is 4g is not up to standard reception?

0 Likes
Re: why doesnt unit switch down to 3G when 4G is unreliable?
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

If there is a tower near you that can get a 4g signal, your phone is going to default to it because that's the default setting of the hardware.  If you're in an area with low coverage, it may be that your roaming list needs to be updated using a "Hybrid PRL update"  To do this power your device off, remove your sim card, re-insert sim card and power back on.  The PRL update will update the list of towers your phone prefers to connect to in order to get the strongest signal possible.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wlb3890, it's important to us that you have reliable service. Your device is designed to retrieve signal from the best wireless tower in your area. As a result, it's very normal for service to fluctuate. Try powering your phone off/on to soft reset. Additionally, it's also helpful to enable voice roaming on in Settings>More Networks>Global Data Roaming>Allow Access for all trips. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wlb3890

I have done both suggestions. Will try over next few days and let you know.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I never understood the part about taking out and reinserting the sim with the power off.  To me, reinserting after powering on made sense.  Is there a bit of memory or power still used with power off?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks, wlb3890. Please keep us posted with the results.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

It's because removing the sim with the device on can sometimes  damage both the sim card and the device.  So removing it while it's off is the only safe option

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I guess Im asking, if the phone is off how does it know the SIM is not in it?

0 Likes
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

More than  likely there is still some small amount of power still running through the device.   That might also be why some phones are able to recognize multiple button presses(some require buttons other than the power button first)  to boot a phone in recovery mode.

Snn5
Legend

Makes sense.  Only wish there was a way to do so without having to take off an Otterbox Defender to do so.

0 Likes