500gb DVR and multiroom
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just ordered the new 500gb DVR to replace the multiroom DVR I currently have.  I have two questions:

1.  I can currently view shows recorded from the multiroom DVR on the STBs in two other rooms.  When I replace the existing DVR with the new 500gb one will that function still work.  Please don't tell me I need to replace both set top boxes as well.

2.  Will the new DVR allow me to use my existing remote control?

Sometimes it seems the more you advance, the further back you have to go.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 500gb DVR and multiroom
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

I too just received the new 7232 DVR box.  I did have a slight issue with the multi room function.  For whatever reason, the regular box would pick up one recorded show, but when I tried to record two shows at the same time, it would still only pick up one show.  I called Tech Support, and it got worked out.

While I was on with Tech Support, the guy I spoke with recommended that I keep my old remote and return the new one when I sent back my old box.  He said that people have called with issues with the new remote.  He did not go into details.  The only difference on the face of the remotes is that the new one only allows you to control the STB and the TV.  The new remote does not have buttons for auxillary or for a DVD player.  So, I kept my old one and sent back the new one.  I haven't had any problems with it.

The only other issue I am having, and this may not be a big deal to you, is the remote DVR access through your cell phone.  When I tried to register my cell phone with the new DVR, I was being told that my cell number is registered to another box (the old DVR that I sent back), so it would not let me register.  From other postings I have read on this site, it seems that once the old box is sent back and they clear it from your system, you should be able to register your cell phone for remote access.

Enjoy the new DVR!

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

1 - YES the existing STBs will work fine, but it may require a call to get the MRDVR function properly transferred to the new DVR.

2 - YES

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

I too just received the new 7232 DVR box.  I did have a slight issue with the multi room function.  For whatever reason, the regular box would pick up one recorded show, but when I tried to record two shows at the same time, it would still only pick up one show.  I called Tech Support, and it got worked out.

While I was on with Tech Support, the guy I spoke with recommended that I keep my old remote and return the new one when I sent back my old box.  He said that people have called with issues with the new remote.  He did not go into details.  The only difference on the face of the remotes is that the new one only allows you to control the STB and the TV.  The new remote does not have buttons for auxillary or for a DVD player.  So, I kept my old one and sent back the new one.  I haven't had any problems with it.

The only other issue I am having, and this may not be a big deal to you, is the remote DVR access through your cell phone.  When I tried to register my cell phone with the new DVR, I was being told that my cell number is registered to another box (the old DVR that I sent back), so it would not let me register.  From other postings I have read on this site, it seems that once the old box is sent back and they clear it from your system, you should be able to register your cell phone for remote access.

Enjoy the new DVR!

barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks to all.  Just received the new DVR.  Easy setup (although I hate having to reschedule all my series, and losing the few shows I had recorded but not yet watched.)  Old remote works fine.  I do use the android app for DVR remote scheduling, although I haven't tried it yet with the new box.  Sounds like I'll need to wait a bit until the old unit is returned and removed from my account.

When I accessed the multiroom DVR function from one of my other set top boxes - I noticed that it still displayed the old recordings from the original DVR - but, of course, couldn't access them.  I'll wait until I've done some recording on the new box to see if that changes.  I would prefer not to have to call tech support unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know if the eSATA connection on the new DVR is fucntional?  I can't find much about it in the manual which I downloaded form Verizon's site.  Can you in fact connect an external drive to increase capactiy even further?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@barbshop wrote:

Does anyone know if the eSATA connection on the new DVR is fucntional?  I can't find much about it in the manual which I downloaded form Verizon's site.  Can you in fact connect an external drive to increase capactiy even further?

Not yet. Hopefully soon, when the new 1.9 level of the IMG becomes available. Could be any time from a few weeks to a few months. It will automatically appear on your DVR (and other STBs) when available, you will not have to do anything to get it.

Keller, TX 76248

dukie1

If I get the neww 500gb DVR, will I lose all of my recorded movies on the DVR I have now?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dukie wrote:

If I get the neww 500gb DVR, will I lose all of my recorded movies on the DVR I have now?

Yes, unless you keep the old DVR, maybe move it to another TV and replace the STB there. Remember, when you get the 1.9 level of the IMG you will be able to access any of the DVRs you have using the multi-room feature, so those movies would be accessable everywhere in the house.

But Verizon has not provided any way to move recorded material from the old DVR to a new one.

Keller, TX 76248 

Tekjock1

I was at a FiOS store the other day and when the new guide comes out, you can use a eSATA drive 

0 Likes