Activating and using FIOS TV using my own router
mjb871
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry to raise a topic that has been raised before. I have tried to review the earlier postings...

I have had FIOS internet for a while with a 1-211M-L box connected to my Peplink router via Ethernet. It has worked just fine.

I now want to add TV and have received the VMS4100 STB.  I have a ActionTec MOCA adapter. ECB6200. I have tried connecting the 1-211M-L via coax to a splitter with one coax line going to the VMS4100 and the other going to the MOCA adapter, with an Ethernet cable connecting the adapter to the Peplink router.  I can see the STB on my LAN. But I was unable to activate with this setup -- not entirely a surprise from what I've read.

I have purchased a Verizon G1100 router off Amazon and it arrive in a day or two.  I do NOT want to use the Verizon router any more than the bare minimum, and not at all if possible -- my Peplink Balance 20 is FAR superior.

What is the best way to proceed.

1. Should I in fact be able to activate without the Verizon router given the other equipment? Have I just not set it up properly?

2. If I need to put the G1100 in the loop temporarily, I assume I will need to release the Peplink WAN IP address before powering up the G1100.  Is this correct?

3. It would be convenient to use a coax line to connect the 1-211M-L to the Verizon router. That way I don't have to unplug the ethernet line to the Peplink router -- I just power down the Peplink router for a short while while going through the activation process. Is this possible? I assume I'd need a splitter for that installation to the Verizon router, with the other line going to VMS4100.

4. If I activate the STB this way, once activated why do I need the MOCA adapter (ECB6200)? Is that serving any function?

5. Is there a scenario where I have the Peplink router connected to the 1-211M-L via ethernet and the STB/G1100 connected via coax at the same time, so long as only one router is powered up and the WAN IP address is released before I switch routers?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Activating and using FIOS TV using my own router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mjb871 wrote:

Many thanks. 

I assume the coax port on the 1-211M-L will bring the TV signal to the STB and the ethernet port on the 1-211M-L will connect to the router. I'll just switch the ethernet cable from the Verizon to the Peplink after activation. It also seems I can ditch the MOCA adapter setup as well, right?

Yes. The coax from the 211ml can go to a two port splitter. One out goes to 4100 and other will go to the G1100. After activated the Peplink can be connected to the 211ml and use a LAN port to connect to 4100 ethernet port for VOD/IMG.

I have a similar setup. I have a Ubiquiti Edge Router feeding a 16 port switch and one of the ethernet ports feed my VMS1100. The coax from the 211ml goes to an 8 port splitter and one of the out is going to the VMS1100 for video. Whenever I need to connect the G1100 for updates I just plug it in and get a new IP. I don't need break the lease.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will need the G1100 as primary to activate the 4100. After activated you can put the Peplink back in as primary and connect the 4100 with ethernet from the Peplink or a switch. Also keep the G1100 on hand because you will need to put it in every one in a while for 4100 updates. You only really need the MoCA adapter for mini clients in they are connected via coax. 

mjb871
Enthusiast - Level 1

Many thanks. 

I assume the coax port on the 1-211M-L will bring the TV signal to the STB and the ethernet port on the 1-211M-L will connect to the router. I'll just switch the ethernet cable from the Verizon to the Peplink after activation. It also seems I can ditch the MOCA adapter setup as well, right?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mjb871 wrote:

Many thanks. 

Yes. The coax from the 211ml can go to a two port splitter. One out goes to 4100 and other will go to the G1100. After activated the Peplink can be connected to the 211ml and use a LAN port to connect to 4100 ethernet port for VOD/IMG.

I have a similar setup. I have a Ubiquiti Edge Router feeding a 16 port switch and one of the ethernet ports feed my VMS1100. The coax from the 211ml goes to an 8 port splitter and one of the out is going to the VMS1100 for video. Whenever I need to connect the G1100 for updates I just plug it in and get a new IP. I don't need break the lease.