Ad Council Ads
mcg973
Enthusiast - Level 1

What is going on with all of the Ad Council ads appearing on FIOS cable channels (espn, cnbc, cnn, fox news, tnt, etc)? I see "Discover the Forest" ads and Recycling ads two times in a row usually four times each per hour. This is in addition to the "Love has no bias" ads which also play 4x per hour as well. While these causes are all fine, this is completely obnoxious. No other cable provider I see plays these ads at all let alone to the extent FIOS plays them.

Does anyone else constantly see these.

Verizon, can you please explain the barrage of these Ad Council ads over the past few months?

Re: Ad Council Ads
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off this is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

And I can't say I see these commercials much or at all.

Now that stupid Peter Pan Geico commercial, that needs to go.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only some ads are from Verizon.  Most are from the channel in question.

Having never seen the ones you are mentioning, I would think these are NOT from Verizon.

0 Likes
dspsteve
Enthusiast - Level 2

"What is going on with all of  the Ad Council ads"

You are not alone in your irritation of all of these ads from the Ad Council that play continuously and ad nauseam on Verizon.  These barrage of ads are not only obnoxious but as you indicated,  severely lessen the viewing experience on Verizon. From Wikipedia: "It has been labeled by historian Robert Griffith as "little more than a domestic propaganda arm of the federal overnment".  I suspect that like most of the mainstream media, the Ad Council has a Liberal agenda.

Before I switched to Verizon almost two year years ago I was a long-time Time Warner customer. I can attest that there were no proliferation of Ad Council ads on Time Warner. Perhaps a Verizon executive will read our comments (and the complaints of others) and at least reduce the number of ads.

dspsteve
Enthusiast - Level 2
"And I can't say I see these commercials much or at all" Seriously? Watch television much? The "Love Has No Labels" as well as other Ad Council ads run continuously and constantly on most channels.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dspsteve wrote:
"And I can't say I see these commercials much or at all" Seriously? Watch television much? The "Love Has No Labels" as well as other Ad Council ads run continuously and constantly on most channels.

Probably depends on where you are located. I am retired and have some health issues so I watch quite a bit of TV and I don't think I have ever seen any Ad Council ads. Or of course maybe I just don't watch the correct channels.... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

dspsteve
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin wrote : "Probably depends on where you are located. I am retired and have some health issues so I watch quite a bit of TV and I don't think I have ever seen any Ad Council ads"

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I am also retired, and I watch television a lot, perhaps more than I should. I live in Southern California, although I suspect that the ads I and poster mcg973 are referrring to are shown throughout the country on the channels mcg973 indicated (espn, cnbc, cnn, fox news, tnt, etc). Reread mcg973's post as to the Ad Council ads we are referring. Our government funds the Ad Council, and if you Google "Ad Council commercials obnoxious" you will find others who are upset over these commercials and our governments waste of tax dollars. Both mcg973 and I are complaining not about the ads per se BUT over the Amount of these ads shown continuously on Verizon.  

Thanks for replying and enjoy your retirement. 

Justin46
Legend

@dspsteve wrote:

Justin wrote : "Probably depends on where you are located. I am retired and have some health issues so I watch quite a bit of TV and I don't think I have ever seen any Ad Council ads"

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I am also retired, and I watch television a lot, perhaps more than I should. I live in Southern California, although I suspect that the ads I and poster mcg973 are referrring to are shown throughout the country on the channels mcg973 indicated (espn, cnbc, cnn, fox news, tnt, etc). Reread mcg973's post as to the Ad Council ads we are referring. Our government funds the Ad Council, and if you Google "Ad Council commercials obnoxious" you will find others who are upset over these commercials and our governments waste of tax dollars. Both mcg973 and I are complaining not about the ads per se BUT over the Amount of these ads shown continuously on Verizon.  

Thanks for replying and enjoy your retirement. 

Hi Steve,

Thanks, I am enjoying retirement despite the health issues, been doing so for 13 years now. For the past 4 months have been trying hard to improve my situation, have had some success - have lost 30 pounds, got my diabetes under control at least for now, and through some treatment have reduced the neuropathy issues with my feet at least some. So yeah, I too watch too much TV, but when winter goes away, who knows.... 

Regarding the ads on TV, I watch a lot of ESPN, CNN, and Fox News, never CNBC, and occasionally TNT, but honestly I do not think I have ever seen one of their ads. And if I had and they were repeated constantly I think I would remember them. That is why I theorized that maybe it is geographic. But now that I am aware of them I will be on the lookout.

Anyway, I hope you also enjoy your retirement.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1) 

0 Likes
RFK25
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a FIOS customer lving in Southern Westchester County, New York. In response to this subject discussed, I can attest that we see these ads continually across all Cable channels- ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, HGTV, Bravo. They're beyond annoying and definitely lead to viewer distraction and take away from the FIOS viewing experience.. I can't reach for the remote quick enough. 

If you have a Viamedia- (they are the ad sales unit for Verison FIOS)- contact in your area, please calland complain to them as well.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Justin is in Texas and I am in Florida, and I never saw the ads here in FL.  But I DID see some when I was at my NY home.  So it probably is regional targeting, rather than National ads.

Some studies have shown that ad do better if repeated in a short time span.  I've seen some ads OTA, so not Verizon inserted, repeated in the same commercial break.  Since at least one was for a local company I knew the owner of, I asked him and yes that is what he was paying for.

No idea what the Ad Council wants in term of their ads.

0 Likes