Add mini in basement without coax
PJSAMS

Have a newly finished basement.  There is not a coax cable installed in the basement.  We were hoping to use the mini box since it doesn't require coax.  However, when on, programming glitches, pauses, etc.  The main media client in almost directly above it.

I've read mixed information.  Do the minis connect with the wifi, or directly with the main media client?  I can't add an extender to the basement since there is not an available coax cable.  The TV is connected to wifi and plays netflix, disney +, etc. with no issues, so it gets an ok wifi coverage.

What are our options?  We want to be able to watch fios TV downstairs.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Add mini in basement without coax
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@PJSAMS wrote:

Have a newly finished basement.  There is not a coax cable installed in the basement.  We were hoping to use the mini box since it doesn't require coax.  However, when on, programming glitches, pauses, etc.  The main media client in almost directly above it.

I've read mixed information.  Do the minis connect with the wifi, or directly with the main media client?  I can't add an extender to the basement since there is not an available coax cable.  The TV is connected to wifi and plays netflix, disney +, etc. with no issues, so it gets an ok wifi coverage.

From what I've read here the minis have a poor antenna, or programming when it comes to wifi. The solution is to use a network extender that is wired to the mini with ethernet cable, then connect that extender wirelessly to your wifi network. So basically you are replacing the wifi section of the mini with the extender.

View solution in original post

Re: Add mini in basement without coax
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@PJSAMS wrote:

From what I've read here the minis have a poor antenna, or programming when it comes to wifi. The solution is to use a network extender that is wired to the mini with ethernet cable, then connect that extender wirelessly to your wifi network. So basically you are replacing the wifi section of the mini with the extender.