Advanced DVR System Options
adeda
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have a VMS1100 in my house and it is the only DVR I have. I'm creating a home office and I would like to have Fios TV available in it. Am I correct that in the understanding that I can't get a IPC4100 to have a wireless connection in the room without changing my VMS1100 to be a VMS4100? I'd like to avoid having to drill and run wires through a room or having a long wire running down the hallway to the other room if I get an IPC 1100.

Are there any cons to switching away from the VMS1100 to the VMS4100? Can I just order the other DVR from Verizon and swap them out and then get a ipc4100/mini and keep it in another room without needing to connect it to a coaxial?

Finally, my greatest concern is a delay if I am not using coaxial if I change my DVR system. Does the Fios TV One Mini (ipc4100) have any delay when comparing its wired and wireless connections?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Advanced DVR System Options
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@adeda wrote:

I currently have a VMS1100 in my house and it is the only DVR I have. I'm creating a home office and I would like to have Fios TV available in it. Am I correct that in the understanding that I can't get a IPC4100 to have a wireless connection in the room without changing my VMS1100 to be a VMS4100? I'd like to avoid having to drill and run wires through a room or having a long wire running down the hallway to the other room if I get an IPC 1100.

Are there any cons to switching away from the VMS1100 to the VMS4100? Can I just order the other DVR from Verizon and swap them out and then get a ipc4100/mini and keep it in another room without needing to connect it to a coaxial?

Finally, my greatest concern is a delay if I am not using coaxial if I change my DVR system. Does the Fios TV One Mini (ipc4100) have any delay when comparing its wired and wireless connections?

I do not believe the IPC 4100 will work With the VMS 1100. You would need to upgrade to a VMS 4100. The IPC 4100 will connect wirelessly, but it is not 100% reliable that way and works better if you can connect it with ethernet or coax cable. The downside is you will loose your existing DVR recordings when you upgrade. As far as a delay goes, I don't think it matters which connection method you use, there may or may not be a delay. Why would this bother you? The audio and video will remain in sync.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@adeda wrote:

I do not believe the IPC 4100 will work With the VMS 1100. You would need to upgrade to a VMS 4100. The IPC 4100 will connect wirelessly, but it is not 100% reliable that way and works better if you can connect it with ethernet or coax cable. The downside is you will loose your existing DVR recordings when you upgrade. As far as a delay goes, I don't think it matters which connection method you use, there may or may not be a delay. Why would this bother you? The audio and video will remain in sync.

adeda
Enthusiast - Level 1

@clem21, I worded my concern poorly but you have addressed it in your response. I am aware that the video and audio was synced on the device. I was thinking along the lines of comparing a wired IPC 4100 versus a wirless one. If they were side by side would they be synced or if wifi traffic or blips cause issues for a wireless IPC 4100 that I am watching. Thank you for confirming that I would need to use ethernet or coaxial if I want it to be reliable.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@adeda wrote:

@clem21, I worded my concern poorly but you have addressed it in your response. I am aware that the video and audio was synced on the device. I was thinking along the lines of comparing a wired IPC 4100 versus a wirless one. If they were side by side would they be synced or if wifi traffic or blips cause issues for a wireless IPC 4100 that I am watching. Thank you for confirming that I would need to use ethernet or coaxial if I want it to be reliable.

Don't get me wrong, Some people have no issues with connecting the IPC wirelessly, but many do have dropouts and buffering issues. That's why I suggest either wiring solution in any situation where there is an available connection.  Again, not sure about any delay between side-by -side boxes based on connection, and if there was I don't think there is a workaround.