Arris VMS1100 digital audio jack
maggiebee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got an Apple TV and wanted to listen to music via external speakers, but my options are limited, without going into stupefying detail… Anybody know if I could connect my dumb TV's digital audio output (orange jack) to my Arris VMS1100 media server's digital audio jack, which appears to be an input? If I can do that, my very old Yamaha receiver should be able to feed it to the speakers via the VCR Monitor mode.

[edit] Or… perhaps I should just get a digital —> analog (RCA) audio adapter to connect TV directly to receiver? They're not that expensive, I see.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Arris VMS1100 digital audio jack
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a coax digital output.  I see that the manual does have it incorrectly labeled.

Connects to the Dolby® Digital 5.1 audio or PCM output input on a digital audio device

View solution in original post

maggiebee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Digital audio connection didn't work, silly me, probably should have realized it wouldn't. No way to make the Arris box deaf to what's coming in from Fios. May try the converter approach after I return the two useless cables I bought 🙂

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a coax digital output.  I see that the manual does have it incorrectly labeled.

Connects to the Dolby® Digital 5.1 audio or PCM output input on a digital audio device

maggiebee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that would explain it, LOL. Thanks, tns2! 

As I continued to explore the issue yesterday I found a conversation at Tom's Guide that caused me to smack myself in the head. The headphone output on the TV… duh. Connected that directly to my old Yamaha AVR and it works. Not spectacular sound but beats the heck out of the speakers built into my cheapie flatscreen. And may improve once I obtain a proper cable to use instead of a runt adapter and a headphone extension cord. Problem solved, for the time being.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a sound bar with only one input.

What I did was take digital output of TV and conenct to soundbar.

That way, regardless of what I am watching on TV be it FIOS, Roku, built in apps, the sound is fed to soundbar.

0 Likes