Audio Drops/Hits after latest EPG Upgrade
Costa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

After the latest Quantum TV Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) upgrade which now includes pictures (like we can't read?), the Audio stops as if one packet has been dropped (it isn't though, more later).  It quickly returns to the volume prior to the interruption however this happens on all channels, including music choice.  That's the easiest way to see if you have the problem, steady music/sound.

As to my sleuthing so far: it appears to be the HDMI handshake protocol with the output to the TV.  I suspect this because if you rewind live TV you can hear what was said.  If it was part of the live stream that couldn't be done, it would always drop out at the same spot because the DVR would record that bad data hit. If as I suspect it's part of the TV HDMI handshake from the Arris boxes, this shows it since it isn't being recorded on the local DVR drive.  It happens on all the Arris systems, both Media server and clients.  It originally showed up as both video pixelation and audio, then a fast push of more software made it audio only, then one more upgrade (all happened within a week) and the spacing between audio hits started to stretch out.  I noticed that if you reboot the Media Server it will happen rapidly for a few minutes and then start spacing itself out.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem on Quantum TV since the latest EPG upgrade? I can't get past the wall of Tier 1 people which makes for a horrible Customer Experience for all of us.  I'm turning to the forum hoping either someone from Verizon's Tier 4 engineering in Ashburn or even the Tampa programming site read this (it was in Tampa, not sure if they are still doing EPG work).  I also hope others who are experiencing this jump on the message and at least say yes, you too, so they see this is a real and hot problem.  If you've gotten a workaround that too would be great!

Help!

0 Likes
Re: Audio Drops/Hits after latest EPG Upgrade
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) This is mainly a peer to peer support forum. Typically don't get any responses here from Verizon.

2) I haven't had any problems nor have I read that anyone else has. What type of TV(s) do you have? Have you tried component to see if that makes a difference?

0 Likes
Costa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much for the reply, great suggestions.

Yes, I tried composite and coax connectivity as part of my isolating the issue to the HDMI handshake problem.  My Panasonic 65VT50 has this issue along with both of the Samsung UN55D8000 LED TVs hanging off the clients and the two Crestron TP9 touchpanels which are on there own clients (all Arris as part of Quantum).  This specifically started after the upgrade load for the latest EPG which introduced graphics into the programming guide.  I was worse during the first load and then the two subsequent patches reduced the issue.  Those patches happened within a 48 hour cycle according to the time stamps for the loads.

It's one approach to TV issues within VZ Engineering to attempt a workaround to make the problem less frequent so as to buy time while they work through the problem in Tier 4.  The programming guide team has had several challenges since inception, this is yet another that team has created for the users.  They still can't seem to staff with content savvy programmers, even with the contractors, sadly.  Since they were a 10 year customer of mine up until 2 years ago, I keep cheering them on from the sidelines. However as the current Wireless oriented CEO has shown, FiOS is sadly a 'hold the current market' only technology and he won't spend any more money on it or expand.  Shame really...  Mark W. (former CTO who drove FiOS) really spearheaded a great system and technology.

BTW, I do know when an issue on the forum is hot VZ will float it through engineering.  That was my hope in starting this thread on the forum.  I'll stop as you are correct.  I'll start the phone escalation calls from outside Support and drive back into Tier 4 through back channels.  I just hate having to circumvent the process and not assisting the Tier 1 & 2 folks in recognizing escalation isn't a bad thing, it's good for them and the customer in resolving issues faster.  Sigh...

Thanks again for responding, appreciate any and all bumps that keep this growing to get attention at VZ and hopefully through great suggestions like yours for all the non-engineers out there needing help.  Looks like you are a super contributor to the forum and customer base, Gold Contributor II, nice!  🙂  Keep helping folks, they should really appreciate your help and insight.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have 3 Samsung TVs and don't have an issue with any one of them.

And they range in age from 4 years to less than a year (don't remember the letter series).

0 Likes
JBroude

I am having same issue on my Samsung Smart TV. Sound drops for a second then returns. This does not happen when streaming any other product (Netflix,Samsung...) only Fios. I have a call into support.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are mixing issues.

Post was related to Samsung connected to STB.

It appears you are refering to FIOS APP on Samsung TV.

0 Likes
betashave

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I am experiencing it on multiple TVs and a/v receivers.  Was this ever fixed for the OP?

0 Likes