BBU & ONT
PjD805
Enthusiast - Level 2

After searching older posts I was unable to find specifically what I was looking for...

Have a few questions about the BBU [battery Back-up] unit:

- If the power is on and the battery is disconnected, should the internet and TV still work? Or does it have to sense the battery?

- Should the BBU trickle charge [maintain] the battery when the power is on? 

I'm not sure exactly how the system works, but I would think the power supply should keep the ONT unit alive/on when the power is on[?]. I don't have telephone service, so I'm wondering why I need a battery..?

0 Likes
Re: BBU & ONT
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, the battery is optional.  The battery is ONLY for backup for your home phone service.  You can disconnect the battery and still have service on TV , Internet and phone as long as the ONT is receving power from the BBU.   If you want to replace the battery.  You can go to any HOME DEPOT and get a 12 volt SLA battery.

0 Likes
PjD805
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply...

When I unplug the battery the ONT turns off - however the light on the power supply is on.

I wonder if my power supply is defective..?

0 Likes
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, sounds like a bad BBU.  call tech support and schedule a dispatch ticket so that the tech can replace the BBU.

good luck,

0 Likes
jmacera

My question is why do we need to pay for the battery?  Why doesn't Verizon send us a replacement when the battery fails since the back-up battery is required to conform with FCC regulations that the FiOS service work even during a power outage.

0 Likes