Big Ten Network overflow channels
Westbeverly
Enthusiast - Level 2
In years past, Verizon has offered all 4 overflow channels that the big ten network uses to show all of its college football games on channels 330-333. They are still listed on the channel lineup page for my area. However, at the moment, the program guide only shows two overflow channels 330-331.

Can we expect the other channels to be turned on before game day? I called fios but didn't get much help. She seemed to think I was having a tech problem, but even the fios mobile app and website only list the 2 channels on their tv listings.
Re: Big Ten Network overflow channels
VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I, too, would like to know what Verizon's intentions are with the BTN and their overflow channels, as there are multiple games this weekend that will need to use them.

Also, are there plans to make the overflow channels available in HD instead of only SD so we're not dependent on Verizon's tastes as to which games are shown?  Currently, the Arkansas St./Illinios game is being listed as the 3:30 EST game this Saturday, but there are other BTN games (including Nebraska) which will be on at the same time and available in HD...depending on what feed Verizon utilizes.

Finally, will Verizon FiOS subscribe to the BTNtoGo service (not unlike the ESPN 3 service FiOS members already have) so FiOS subscribers have the option of using the BTN's streaming service?

0 Likes
abqhusker1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll jump in on this thread to support the cause.  What happened to the rest of the BTN channels; specifically 332 and 333?  I also agree that if the BTN channels are available in HD that they should be carried; it doesnt make any sense not to.  the college football season begins this weekend, obviously I'm an NU fan and expecting to see their games on BTN.  Its a little late to change providers this late in the game for this weekend anyway.  I see on the BTN channel finder link that the NU/Chattanooga game will be carried FIOS channel 85 and 330 this weekend in my area in SoCal; so if that's true then I'm alright with that although I am concern about why the other BTN overflow channels disappeared.  What if there's a game I want to see that's being broadcast on those 2 missing channels, 332 and333?

Westbeverly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having looked at the listings on BTN, it looks like maybe they have scheduled the games so that they no longer need more than 2 overflow channels.  Someone following the Big Ten more closely than me might know better, but I seem to recall on the past that there was generally just the early kickoff for the Big Ten games on BTN.  It appears that with as many as 3 daily start times, they are spreading the game out through the day so there are never more than 3 games (regular BTN + 2 overflows) at a time.

Hopefully all is well.

But I agree with the previous poster.  I would love to get BTN2Go.  This seems like the kind of perk Verizon usually offers us.

VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon updated their guide data today--it's now showing the correct information for the area and the overflow channels. 

Big Ten fans (especially Nebraska fans) should check the schedule now--it appears that Nebraska is now the 3:30pm EST game on the HD feed, and all others are on the SD feed for that time (Illinois and someone else?)

Glad Verizon is carrying the BTN.  Thanks FiOS TV staff!

Now, about those HD overflows...

0 Likes
VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Westbeverly wrote:

Having looked at the listings on BTN, it looks like maybe they have scheduled the games so that they no longer need more than 2 overflow channels.  Someone following the Big Ten more closely than me might know better, but I seem to recall on the past that there was generally just the early kickoff for the Big Ten games on BTN.  It appears that with as many as 3 daily start times, they are spreading the game out through the day so there are never more than 3 games (regular BTN + 2 overflows) at a time.

Hopefully all is well.

But I agree with the previous poster.  I would love to get BTN2Go.  This seems like the kind of perk Verizon usually offers us.

When the Big Ten took on Nebraska, they were able to renegotiate with Disney (read: ABC/ESPN) their contract to a) show Big Ten games on the BTN at the same time as ABC/ESPN games, and b) push back start times for many of the Big Ten games. 

This means that the BTN doesn't have to cram three or four Big Ten games into the same 11am (or 7pm before October) timeslot because ESPN/ABC picked up one game at 2:30pm.  Now the BTN is able to spread the games out better, which allows them to reduce the number of overflow channels (and thus cost to the network...and possibly the carriers?) 

This, though, does not address the lack of overflow channels in HD or the lack of BTN2Go by Verizon.  And yes, Verizon FiOS staff, I'm willing to take a slight hit in the cost of the sports/Ultimate package to get BTN2Go, if that's the holdup.

0 Likes
abqhusker1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, then, that's great news for me this weekendSmiley Very Happy  Glad that worked out that way.  Thanks for the research and updated info on the games and channels. 

I agree completely that the secondary BTN channels should be carried as standard programming.  Anymore, HD has become the norm for majority of TV viewers; especially for sports events.  How about making the two overflow channels that are no longer being used (332, 333) the HD mirrors of 330 and 331?  Seems like it would not take any more than a slight bit of juggling to make this possible.  Also, seems that a deal to offer BTN2GO to FIOS subscibers similar to the way that ESPN3 is currently offered could be negotiated simply enough.  That would be a great benefit and advantage to Verizon/FIOS and it's customers.

matcarl
Master - Level 1

Wow, I see Verizon did drop the other two overflow channels. Thanks guys for all the info on this topic!

0 Likes