CBS dropped in Harrisburg area!
wjn1

It is ridiculous that FIos has dropped the CBS stations!  They and Newport Television need to resume/continue negotiations to get CBS back on the line-up!

I switched to Fios in Oct. from Comcast.  I hope I did not make a mistake!!

0 Likes
Re: CBS dropped in Harrisburg area!
whatgives

If no CBS by tomorrow, I;m call someone else!

0 Likes
kiss04bam

No CW either. I am highly upset about this. Guess I better find out when my contract ends. So I can make a switch if I need too.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you'll find Newport is much to blame for this ... local television stations want cable providers to give them a slice of their revenue for the priveledge of carrying their station (which they broadcast over the air for free).  Newport evidently has hiked the fees they want for this disproportionately and Verizon is pushing back.   This is what is wrong with affiliate based local channel arrangements -- a leftover from before the digital era.

Frankly .. I'd like to see Verizon find another CBS signal (maybe from New York) that they could contract with to continue to bring the network to FiOS viewers and cut WHP completely out of the revenue stream.  Unfortunately due to the affliiate model, that's unlikely to happen.

To prevent this from happening, each provider should be permitted to contract with two carriers of any particular network (and those carriers should be owned by different parties).  If WHP 21 and WLYH 15 -- both CBS -- were required to be owned by two different parties, the outage would have been avoided and the negotiations would not have likely stalled.   Better still, the affliate model should be gotten rid of entirely and providers should be allowed to competitively obtain programming.

As it is, I'm sure the channel will return soon -- as soon as both sides stop their posturing and get moving on productive negotiations.  WHP is telling people to call Verizon to complain -- but you should also call WHP and complain.

0 Likes
kiss04bam

I contacted them, but got the run around about the negoiations not being met yet. Thats all they said. They didnt put my fears to rest at all!

0 Likes
jcindabox

I saw the scrolling message this week but never thought they would actually go through with it. What was the phone number we were suppoed to call?

0 Likes
kiss04bam

Saw on Facebook that Verizon  Fios is recommending we contact Newport Television at 816-751-0200 to demand reasonable rates.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Not much of an option, doing Verizon's negotiating work for them.

I doubt Newport Television cares much about losing the business of a handful of Verizon FiOS TV subscribers compared to the millions of Time Warner Cable TV subscribers they have.

IMO Verizon FiOS TV sucks every bit as much as Time Warner right now and if I miss any NFL Football games this weekend I'll be sure to remember how I was treated the next time I renew my cable TV or cell phone contract.

My cell phone plan w/Verizon is on a month to month basis so I can drop Verizon anytime.

Although I have a two year agreement w/Verizon FiOS TV, I'm so angry right now I'm tempted to pay the early termination fee and go back to Time Warner.

0 Likes
yid3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lasagna,

From the sound of your message you must be a verizon employee

0 Likes
surfrog

If CBS isn't back on by Sunday night we're switching to Comcast! It's rediculous that cable companies have the power to just turn off a particular channel on a whim.  We pay plenty for our cable service and we're not happy!! I certainly hope I can get someone on the phone tomorrow about this and find out what Verizon is going to do to make this right. I guess we won't pay our full bill for this month either since we aren't getting what we are paying for!

0 Likes