CBS21-Cumberland County Area
shorty71

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper to turn on the news this morning and find that the channell has been temporarily removed!  That is one channel that my family and I watch on a daily basis- Cmon Fios get it together and bring my channel back!!!!  I love my service but if we cant watch our favorite channel line ups then we will be forced to find a provider who does offer it!!! and no notice that it was being removed, I find that unprofessional on your part!!!!

0 Likes
Re: CBS21-Cumberland County Area
kiss04bam

I only noticed it flashing across the screen LATE last night on the CW channel. I am VERY upset that these channels have been removed. My family and watch both channels weekly and look forward to our shows.

0 Likes
JustBee13

I live in Upstate NY and on Monday I began to see a ticker feed at the bottom of our Fox station when I watched the news.  I cannot believe that the company that owes these stations cannot come to a decent deal with Verizon.  If they have settled deals with Comcast and Cable why not Verizon?? This is crazy especially since Fox broadcasts many shows that are quite popular and probably contribute to the stations viewer numbers.  By them not negotiating with Verizon they are perhaps going to lose viewership or expecting people to jump the Verizon Fios ship to cable or satellite.  I left Time Warner for a good reason - too expensive.  I came to Fios with the intent that I would have local programming.  So do I get a discount now that I don't have all of the local channels that I signed up for??? 

Hopefully the broadcast company and Verizon come to a quick decision. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually ... you must have been missing the news for the past several days which has been following this story.  It's a contract dispute and the local media has been reporting on the fact that this could happen if the contract negotiations didn't complete in time.

It'll be back in due course ... but WHP and Newport is as much to blame for this as Verizon.

blushrts

WHP is the only local in Harrisburg who hasn't gone HD for their evening news, also the only one broadcasting 2 channel audio.  I wouldn't be surprised they are trying to up the rates to help pay for the upgrades they need to do.

0 Likes
Prr643
I don't give a rip what the excuse is, there is absolutely 0 excuse for Verizon to not provide one of the major networks, for any reason, if this is not resolved by Monday night I will be a new Comcast customer,
0 Likes
davekingsb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Newport Broadcasting, the parent company of the WHP stations, is attempting to negotiate with Verizon.  OK, Newport Broadcast has negotiated with all the oher cable TV providers/carriers and have reached an agreement.   But,  Verizon won't budge.   Why?   Partly it is because VZ is one of the biggest players in the game and they want to  suck as much out of the broadcaster as possible.    If you look at the Verizon "message board",  it states  "Attention Customers  Newport Television has temporarily removed the following channels from your FiOS TV lineup:  (it lists the channels the WHP TV stations carries),    You can access current programming on these channels  via an over the air antenna and select recent shows at CWTV.com and CBS.com.   ..   I could say more about this, but I won/t. 

0 Likes
gatorfans
Enthusiast - Level 1

are you kidding me? NFL playoff weekend and verizon and newport pull this??? large corporations fighting over millions, while their customers (who pay the bills) are out in the cold. 

im done. switching service providers asap 

davekingsb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I   live in the Harrisburg area,  and we were recently greeted with the message  Newport Broadcasting, the parent company of the WHP stations, is attempting to negotiate with Verizon. etc.  The point is,  Verizon won't budge.    WHP-TV posted a notification in bold letters on their website:

We have not been able to come to an agreement with Verizon on a carriage deal for our stations. On January 14th, in an effort to stop any programming disruptions we communicated to Verizon our willingness to accept the 1st year terms of a proposal they had given us. This would have given Verizon the right to carry our stations immediately and for the balance of 2012. Verizon rejected this offer even though it was on their financial terms.
We have carriage deals with all other cable and satellite providers in the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York market. Please call Verizon  at 1-800-837-4966 and express your views. It is our sincere hope to have this matter resolved immediately. We appreciate your viewership.

Notice what Verizon came back with   " Verizon rejected this offer even though it was on their financial terms. " Really?
Verizon doesn't want to cooperate with the broadcasters. Why? because they feel as though they are the "big brother" in the Cable Tv arena. Comcast has over a million subscribers the  central Pennslvania area, whereas Verizon has about 30,000 --- and they think they are the boss!

To those who decide to cancel, don't forget---you are under a contract with Verizon .  If you decide to cancel service, you "broke" their contract,  even though Verizon broke the contract  you as a subscriber and customer signed in the first place.  Is this fair?  No it isn't.

0 Likes
davekingsb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Newport Broadcasting and Verizon reached a deal around 3:30 PM Sunday.

0 Likes