Can I keep Actiontec network on with google nest wifi for wireless stb's?
mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trying to set up FiOS internet/TV with Google nest mesh wifi.  I'm gonna attempt to use a coax to actiontec setup because dslreports says it works even though you'll have a double NAT (whatever that means).  I've heard that the wireless mini STBs can only connect to a Fios router.  I read that typically you want to turn off the actiontec wireless settingswith the Google nest network, but is it possible to keep both networks running so TV's can connect to FiOS router while everything else connects to Google nest wifi?  I'm not very networking savvy so if you can keep the answers dumbed down, I'd appreciate it ;).  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I keep Actiontec network on with google nest wifi for wireless stb's?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah there is definitely a couple different ways to use your own router. Since your WAN connection from the ONT is on MoCA, your Actiontec has to be primary. Connect the coax from ONT to the Actiontec then the LAN of the Actiontec to the WAN of the Google. 
Make sure the Google IP address is something other than 192.168.1.1 and it is ok if you leave it as DHCP. Most newer routers will sense the IP conflict during the setup and change it automatically. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You certainly can use Google Nest and the Actiontec router. The only issue is that the Actiontec isn't compatible with the wireless mini. They connect using the 5 GHz band and the Actiontec only has 2 4 GHz. You will just have to wire the minis with coax.

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok I'm an idiot.  I never imagined I had coax to all those minis so assumed some were wireless.  Do you know if I'll have trouble with coax from ONT?  Also will using the actiontec as a bridge prevent my nest from using 5ghz?  And come to think of it I'm using an extender that they claimed would give me 5g.  Is that **bleep**?  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The minis can connect via coax, ethernet, or wifi, but I do believe that you will have issues trying to activate them without the G1100 or G3100. 

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

My minis are currently working with the action tec. They are connected via coax.  But will using the action tec as a bridge restrict my Google WiFi to 2.4ghz?  Thanks again!

0 Likes
mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh one other thing - some people say you have to run Ethernet from ONT to router, whereas others say using coax is ok and that you'll have a double NAT but that it didn't matter.  Where are you on this issue?  Thanks for the third time.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delay. As long as your internet speed is 100 mbps or below then you won't need ethernet. You only need ethernet if speeds are 150 mbps and above due to the ONT's limit on coax. 

Another reason for ethernet is if you would have your router as primary then you would have to have ethernet since non-Verizon router don't support MoCA.

Either way if you are using two routers you will have a double NAT. There really is no way around this since if you have more than one Google wifi they can't be setup in AP mode. 

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

No I really appreciate your help.  So I spent hours looking at how to set this up and saw many conflicting methods. I finally realized (well, learned) that some were setting up lan to lan, wan to lan, using router as a bridge, Verizon vs own router primary, and other methods. I was literally reading 10 different websites/threads on how to set his up.  Finally i figured I should do wan to lan using the Verizon router as my primary router. since that's the easiest but am confused as to which method is actually doing that.  Do you agree that I should Use that method and could you point out where I can learn to do that?  I'm just in a fog of confusion after going down this rabbit hole yesterday. 🙂 Thanks so much for all you help.  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have coax from the ONT to the router then it will have to be primary. The only way Google can be primary is if you run ethernet from the ONT and have Verizon switch you from MoCA to ethernet. 

It probably would be easier to connect Actiontec LAN to Google WAN. Also turn off the wifi in the Actiontec. This will cause a double NAT since Google can't be in AP mode if there is more than one. The downside of a double NAT is you might have issue with the FiOS TV app.

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok so sorry to keep bothering you but every tutorial is different and I'm not even sure anymore whIch one is relevant to my situation.

It says on link below:

"Secondary (LAN-to-WAN)
Simply plug the secondary (user) router into a LAN port on the Verizon Router. User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Verizon Router. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Verizon Router subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP."

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Is that correct?  Is there an advantage to setting a static IP vs having my new router obtain it's address via DHCP?  Come to think of it, how can I access settings on the secondary router since 168.192.1.1 will bring me to my Verizon router? I'm concerned the above recommendation isn't complete because it doesn't mention anything about turning off wireless.  If you know of a tutorial relevant to my situation would you mind providing a link?  I'm sorry about all these questions, I'm just confused at all the conflicting info.  Thank you so much.

0 Likes