Can I use my own IPC4100 box?
Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Was wondering if I could use my own ipc4100 fios verizon tv boxes buying them used on ebay instead of renting them and paying monthly charges?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use my own IPC4100 box?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short story: NO.

Verizon does not sell boxes.  Any used boxes you find online are rental boxes that weren't returned when service was canceled.   Or they were stolen.

If you are able to get Verizon to activate such a box, you'll be charged a rental fee.

If you want to own your own set-top-box, get a TiVO or similar.  I believe Verizon still rents cable cards.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Doc9898 wrote:

Hi,

Was wondering if I could use my own ipc4100 fios verizon tv boxes buying them used on ebay instead of renting them and paying monthly charges?

thanks

Don't know how you could activate them without going through Verizon to do it.

Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well as long as you have an activated Master box the slave boxes should work I would imagine?

0 Likes
Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke to verizon tech and they said it would work but moment it shows up on internet verizon will charge rental fee. 

0 Likes
Arlington2244

I tried by purchasing a used Arris IPC4100 box on EBay.  When I plugged it into the network via COAX it went through a loading process but when it came to the NETWORKING activation it failed with a message "set top box is not authorized for your home."

I tried everything but the failure seems to be unavoidable.  Would I have to provide Verizon with the MAC address?  What possible authorization mechanism could Verizon use to track millions of these boxes?  Any ideas?  thank you.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure Verizon allows for BYOD as it relates to TV set top boxes. I'd reach out to Verizon Customer Service as the unit could be registered to another account.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short story: NO.

Verizon does not sell boxes.  Any used boxes you find online are rental boxes that weren't returned when service was canceled.   Or they were stolen.

If you are able to get Verizon to activate such a box, you'll be charged a rental fee.

If you want to own your own set-top-box, get a TiVO or similar.  I believe Verizon still rents cable cards.