Channel giude options deficient
Merthiolate
Enthusiast - Level 3

've had FiOS TV 5 days now. It's frustrating that there is no way to put only the subscribed channels in to Channel UP/DOWN list. To do that, I have to use a 'favorites'  guide menu just so I can go up/down for the things I can get.

My old DISH TV had an "All" and "All Subscribed" plus 4 more customizable lists to that a user could set.

FiOS has only 2 lists and one of them has to be used for "All Subscribed".

What a waste!

2 points off for this omission for viewers. Maybe they want users to see what they are NOT getting in an effort to get us to upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Channel giude options deficient
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, that is exactly what Favorites is for. Thats the way Verizon set it up. Favorites was created so you can go in and select the channels you want it to display. Yes they could put in a "all subscribed" option but that would still leave people complaining that they dont want that. For example, I have a lot of spanish channels. They are part of my package. But I have no interest in seeing them. Why doesnt Verizon have an option to exclude spanish channels?   They do! Its called favorites. And once you program your favorites, you can even have the guide button display your favorite list by default so you dont even have to use the favorites button, you can use the guide button to display it. You have to remember, this is not dish, this is Verizon. If all they did was copy dish, you may as well have dish.

Justin46
Legend

As spacedebris said, Favorites is the FiOS way to do it. Yes, it may be different, but that is it, at least for now. The new and coming 1.9 level of the IMG supposedly has some additional capabilities to limit the channels you see, but depending on where you are it may be weeks, or even a month or two, before you get it.

I have had FiOS TV for 5 1/2 years, I think the service, and the way the Guide is handled, is just great. Works well, easy to use. You just need to stop trying to make it work like your old provider and make a small effort to adapt. Once you do, I think you will find it works very well.

Here is a link to a document I wrote a while back that explains in some detail how I set up and use my Favorites: Link. It is a PDF that you can save and print if you like. If you will read it with an open mind it might help you make better use of the Guide Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

And - when the new version of the guide is deployed (no I don't know the schedule) one of the guide options is subscribed.

Until then, the only option is as described by setting up favorites.

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Once you get 1.9, you can do this.

Go to Menu, Settings, Video Settings, and then you will see something that says something like "last guide viewed."  Click on enable.

Then, go into Guide, hit Options, select "Subscribed," and your Guide view will stay on subscribed channels.  You won't have to use Favorites again.  It will stay on subscribed until you change it to something else.  For instance, if you do hit the Favorites button, you will get your Favorites channels in the Guide menu.  Then, you will have to go back in and select Subscribed channels.

It seems to be a long way to go about doing this, but at least it is there now.

Merthiolate
Enthusiast - Level 3

Re: You say "go into Guide, hit Options, select "Subscribed," and your Guide view will stay on subscribed channels. I see no such selection. I only see "All channels. Favorites1, & Favorites2". Why don't I even see that option? Inquiring minds want to know...

0 Likes
Merthiolate
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link. I already have that PDF. I still contend that it's pretty lame to see just options for "all channels", favs1, and favs2. I have to burn one of my 'favs' just to set Up/Down to view only my subscribed channels. And you are right, "It will take a small effert to adapt" to the FiOS way of doing the guide. I would characterize it as a

:"small effort to acquiesce" to their lack of functionality.

I'm still in the trial period to get out without breaking a contract and penalties. - I have a couple of weeks to make my final decision.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Merthiolate wrote:

Re: You say "go into Guide, hit Options, select "Subscribed," and your Guide view will stay on subscribed channels. I see no such selection. I only see "All channels. Favorites1, & Favorites2". Why don't I even see that option? Inquiring minds want to know...

Did you not bother to read the paragraph right in front of what you quoted? It says: "Once you get 1.9, you can do this." As to your "Inquiring minds want to know..." comment, I think you need to start inquiring, not just complaining.There is a lot of information available here, both for existing service and planned future service, I think you need to start looking at existing threads and posts before you blindly complain.

You apparently do not yet have the new level, 1.9, of the IMG, and based on your posts in several threads here you certainly appear to not have any interest in adapting to FiOS. If you just want to come here and complain, fine, you are free to do so, but if you actually want help, you need to act like you want it (IMHO) and for sure you need to make an attempt to adapt. FiOS is terrific, it will be better when you get the 1.9 level of the IMG, but it is DIFFERENT from whatever you have had in the past, and it will always be DIFFERENT, that is one of the things that makes it better IMO.

There are lots of people here who will be more than willing to help, but you have to make an effort to listen and comprehend. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is frustrating to try to help people who don't seem to want to listen.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Keller, TX 76248

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Not much else I can say... I tried to be helpful.

I understand your frustration.  I was not happy with only being able to use Favorites as well.  However, as my post states, and Justin reiterates, you will have this option once you get the 1.9 Guide.  I know it is rolling out slowly.  Our area got it about a month ago.  It took a little getting used to, but once I read some of the other feeds and checked out the different functions it provided, it is pretty easy to navigate.

When I got the 1.9, I didn't know about the Subscribed option.  I found it on these message boards.  If you look around or do a search, you are likely to find the answer to most questions because many of us have similar questions.

Good Luck.

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry...

It is actually - Menu, Settings, Television (not Video Settings), then Last Viewed Guide State.