Closed Captions for VOD
rmm220s
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any chance that shows that originally had closed captions (for the deaf) when originally aired will have them when played back via VOD? I'm brand-new to FIOS TV. Captions work fine on DVR, Live, Purchased movies etc, but not when viewed VOD, like say an old HBO series etc. Anyway to actually suggest things to Verizon where they might even read the question.

Thanks Much

Re: Closed Captions for VOD
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey rmm220s, closed captions is offer by the provider while the show is being broadcast so if you record it on the DVR it gives you the option because you capture the live recording of it but on the VOD the closed caption isn't available.  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

You may want to post it on the ideas board because those are read, listened to, and responded to. But the VOD content is from the provider, and I think they would need to include the CC. Perhaps it could be promoted as an option that would provide equal access for the deaf. You would think it would be required.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/idb-p/ideas

0 Likes
rmm220s
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually I've found that much of the VOD does play back with captions intact. So far, all shows that I've recored with the DVR play back with captions as long as the original was captioned. When I initially wrote, I guess I was looking at rather obscure VOD things that probably never had captions to begin with. All movies have had captions so far. There is a facility known as real time captioning, generally used on breaking news reports and some sports things. I suspect some of these types of broadcasts if captured to DVR might not include the captions but I'm not overly concered with this.

I'm happy 🙂

prisaz
Legend

@rmm220s wrote:

Actually I've found that much of the VOD does play back with captions intact. So far, all shows that I've recored with the DVR play back with captions as long as the original was captioned. When I initially wrote, I guess I was looking at rather obscure VOD things that probably never had captions to begin with. All movies have had captions so far. There is a facility known as real time captioning, generally used on breaking news reports and some sports things. I suspect some of these types of broadcasts if captured to DVR might not include the captions but I'm not overly concered with this.

I'm happy 🙂

Thank you for keeping us all up to date. I had not looked into this, but the news is good for those who are hearing impaired.

0 Likes