Commercials Still TOO Loud
patski107
Enthusiast - Level 1

On December 13, 2012, the The Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act became fully implemented and television stations and cable providers are required to keep the volume of commercials at a level consistent with programming.  I have not noticed any change in the volume of the commercials over regular programming. I still have to either mute the commercials or lower the volume until the TV program I am watching returns and then I have to turn the volume back up so I can hear the dialogue.

If you still have to turn down the volume when commercials come on, take action. CALM gives stations and providers a bit of leeway in handling complaints. According to the new standards, one phone call or email isn't enough to warrant an investigation, although patterns of them will demand review.  Failure to meet these new modulation standards could result in fines.

The FCC is soliciting viewer auditing during the transition. To report loud commercials, call 888-225-5322 with information such as time and date of the commercial, description of the ad, plus station or network.

Information also can be mailed to the Federal Communications Commission, Consumer & Government Complaints Division, 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554.

Complain to Verizon and contact the FCC.

0 Likes