Comparison of Available National HD Channels on FiOS, Cable, and Satellite
Justin46
Legend

For those of you who are interested in comparing the national HD channel lineups available on FiOS and various cable and satellite systems, here is a link to a thread at AVSForum.com that gives a very nice color chart identifying what channels are currently available nationally on each system, and which channels might have limited availability, are announced for the future, or are not yet announced: Link

I believe the chart is updated once a month.

If you have not seen this before you may find it interesting....

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 08-16-2009 01:35 PM
Re: Comparison of Available National HD Channels on FiOS, Cable, and Satellite
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Cool find.

On a side note. (assuming that this list is actually accurate for all companies involved). Did you notice that according to the totals listed on the top.

Verizon has 161 national HD channels (wide available + Premium + announced)

Direct TV has 97  (wide available + Premium + announced)

And the Direct TV adds all advertise that they have more HD than anyone else. granted this doesnt take into account any local channels or any speciality channels. (I assume that DTV is counting all their HD channels for the packages like the NFL package or the NBA package, or any of the other part time sports channels) But for mainstream HD channels, Verizon-ATT-Dish-Cablevision all have more. and if you count the limited available channels, you can even add TWC to the list of more than DTV. Just an observation that I found amusing

0 Likes
Briani
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, that is incorrect. 

The total channels INCLUDE pay channels so Verizon has 112 channels total.  That has been one of the knocks as Verizon advertises 100+ HD channels but that total included pay television much like what Direct Tv does.  Just like Verizon added the .TV channels that bolstered their counts but I think we can all agree that those shouLd not count since they do not really carry real  programming.

I did not add the stations up from the link but I did a comparison a couple weeks back when Comcast announced an expansion of their HD line up in Seattle.  Subtract out the pay channels where Verizon has a major edge (13+),  there was only a 4-6 channel difference and that included the .TV channels that seem to be nothing more than 1 show repeated several times and infomercials.

I am thinking that Verizon should be a tad concerned that Comcast is addressing pricing disparities while also expanding their HD line up with channels people watch.  If you remove the .TV stations and pay channels (HBO, etc), Comcast could actually offer a better HD line up by the end of the year.  I cannot believe I just wrote that but the chart supports it.  Ugh!  

I have been very happy with my decision to move from Comcast to Verizon but I do feel like Verizon needs to more aggressive on adding some of the mainstream HD channels.  Don't let us down Verizon.  It will be hard to tell my friends to switch to Verizon when comcast is offering $80-100 prices (triple play) and a solid HD line up.  I am not sure the picture quality and multi-room DVR will be enough. 

Ok, I am off my soapbox.  BTW, great find Justin.  I love the chart.     

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Briani wrote:

I am thinking that Verizon should be a tad concerned that Comcast is addressing pricing disparities while also expanding their HD line up with channels people watch.  If you remove the .TV stations and pay channels (HBO, etc), Comcast could actually offer a better HD line up by the end of the year.  I cannot believe I just wrote that but the chart supports it.  Ugh!  

Keep in mind that Comcast is now re-compressing to get 3 HD channels per QAM while Verizon still passes on the the original MPEG stream (with the exception of some premiums that have to be transcoded from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2) and only places 2 HD channels per QAM.

I'll take quality over quantity anytime (and yes the .TV channels are a waste of bandwidth and Verizon should be ashamed to count them in their HD count Smiley Tongue ).

ScottM
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe the .tv company or Entertainment Studios is paying Verizon to carry them.  That's the only explanation, unless someone has incriminating photos.  Just kidding.   

I respect everyone has difference tastes, but why would Verizon carry 6 commercial laden channels that show the same programs over and over and over and over.   Meanwhile BBC America’s ratings are starting to soar (3.3 million for Torchwood in the week of 7/20?) and still no HD.  Go figure.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

dont forget, NO ONE has BBC-america. Verizon, comcast, TWC, Dish, DTV, no one.  BBC america still has not signed any carrier agreements with any provider in the US. BBC-A should not even be advertising it as it is not available anywhere yet.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/07/22/bbc-america-promises-hd-feed-announcements-soon/

Now According to BBC-A, they claim to have agreements signed.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/373/hd.jsp

But none of the major carriers say they have an agreement yet.

0 Likes
Briani
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think this is a good conversation to be having although I was not trying to dimish any HD channel, I just want to make sure Verizon does not get caught from behind although it looks like it may be too late. 

I left Comcast because of the price, picture and HD channels.  Now at least in my area, Comcast is making an effort to address price and the number of HD channels they carry. 

I know everyone likes to comment on compression and the better picture but the reality is most normal people (thats me) cannot tell a large enough difference between Comcast and Verizon picture  I do agree with others that some people will pay more money for better picture.  I am not sure that is me. 

I hated my experience at Comcast and I hated the way I feel they treated me.  I have not forgotten.  However, if Comcast blows by Verizon in HD channels, NOT choices, and competes on prices, it will be hard not to consider going back.  I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK!  Please Verizon, speed up your process, take a look at the channel requests in the forum, and start chipping away at the more popular stations.  It might be time for a fall update that includes 20+ channels.  Take Comecast to the woodshed.  Please!     

0 Likes
Maniac32
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just switched from Directv to FIOS. The Directv channels look pretty accurrate to me. I switched because the channels that matter to my wife and I are all HD in FIOS. Those would be the Premiums such as HBO Cinemax, etc.  The old move channels don't matter to us because the movies aren't HD anyway and it makes little difference (when they try to upgrade the video quality of the movies) on our big flat screen.

HD is a great thing. BUT, I think additional things to consider are the accessories (like interactive sports channels) is equally important when considering a service provider and frequency of lost signal in bad weather. HD service will become less a factor as the technology moves ahead and the playing field levels. Just my 2 cents...

0 Likes
billymets
Enthusiast - Level 3

BBC HD is on TWC in NYC

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Maniac32 wrote:

I just switched from Directv to FIOS. The Directv channels look pretty accurrate to me. I switched because the channels that matter to my wife and I are all HD in FIOS. Those would be the Premiums such as HBO Cinemax, etc.  The old move channels don't matter to us because the movies aren't HD anyway and it makes little difference (when they try to upgrade the video quality of the movies) on our big flat screen.

HD is a great thing. BUT, I think additional things to consider are the accessories (like interactive sports channels) is equally important when considering a service provider and frequency of lost signal in bad weather. HD service will become less a factor as the technology moves ahead and the playing field levels. Just my 2 cents...

Old movies not HD? Many of the old films are much higher quality then the origional broadcast or DVD versions. I just watch Omega Man in HD from 1971 and the remastering was awsome. Netflix over TIVO though. I don't think we have AMC in HD yet.

My 25cents.;-)

0 Likes