Configure Media Manager to run at system startup (not logon)?
ak2

Can you please advise if there is a way to configure Media Manager to startup with the system rather than at logon?  By this I mean I would like it to start when the system is powered up but no user has logged on to the system yet.  It would seem that the option within Media Manager to "Always launch Verizon Media Manager at System Startup" actually refers to logon rather that actual system startup (i.e. as a system service would).

0 Likes
Re: Configure Media Manager to run at system startup (not logon)?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I dont think you can. I believe MM is one of those types of programs that need info from each user. Since the admin "acct" can specify if this program can or cannot be used by specific users. As such, the login process is needed for the program to run. Now I could be way off base here, but I thought thats how this kind of program runs.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

I found these instructions on a help page on the web.  I have not tested them, so use at your own risk.

On the "Start" "Run" type gpedit.msc

Under "Computer Configuration" "Windows Settings"
Double click "Scripts(Startup/Shutdown)"
Double click "Startup" in right pane.
Click "Add" button and browse to your program and then click "ok" then Click "Ok" again.

you can now exit out of all the Group Policy editor..

0 Likes
Tomato

In Windows, software can be created as a service. Most or all device drivers are services. There are a few types of services, and one type is capable of executing in a manner you describe; that is, to execute without an interactive user being signed in.

It is true that it is a security vulnerability for a service to interact with the user directly. It is possible, or at least it was possible in previous versions of Windows to reduce security of a service to allow direct interaction, but Microsoft advises against it. It is possible however for a service to comunicate with an interactive user indirectly in a manner that is secure. Technically speaking, one way for a service to communicate with an application that interacts with a user interactively is a pipe.

Theoretically, it is entirely possible for the MM to execute as a service and to provide MM services to DVRs; MM could be like networking software. I am not an expert in this area, but it sure seems to be entirely possible technically. The User Interface (UI) part that interacts with us to allow us to specify what video and pictures and other media to allow the DVRs to access can be a separate application that communicates with service in a secure manner. It is possible. Instead, Verizon developed a single application. Their developers probably are not technical enough to develop a service; they might not be capable of understanding how to do it, so they don't even pursue that option.. Verizon could hire developers to do it; there are thousands of developers that are capable. There are hundreds of very capable programmers in places such as India that could do it very economically.

0 Likes