Connecting a RF Modulator, a FiOS set top box, older TV and DVD player
richtaylor1

I have an old Panasonic combination VCR TV that I want to connect to a DVD player via a Verizon-Motorola QIP71002 set top box. The Panasonic has only one coaxial input. (Presently, the TV is the only component connected to the set top box)

I'm told that I need to use an RF modulator, but I'm not sure how I would connect the various components using coaxial and composite audio cables.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I would connect to what or whether this is even possible?

Many thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting a RF Modulator, a FiOS set top box, older TV and DVD player
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so here are your two options as I see it ...

Option 1 - Use the audio/video inputs on the TV

1. Connect FiOS box RF output (Coax) to the RF input on the TV (you probably have it this was already)

2. Connect the Stereo Audio Output (Red/White) and Video Out (Yellow) from the DVD player to the same color inputs on the TV front panel (you can get an audio/video cable online or at Radio Shack or Best Buy or some such store if you need one -- just get the cheapest they have, don't go buying the super expensive ones the sales people will try to sell you).

To watch TV, set the TV to channel 3 (or 4 if you have your STB set to 4).  To watch a DVD, set the TV to the Aux input setting.

Option 2 - Use an RF converter

1. Take the RF output from the STB and connect it to the RF input on the converter (Coax)

2. Connect the RF output from the converter to the RF inputer on the TV (Coax)

3. Take Stereo Audio out (Red/White) and Video (Yellow) from the DVD and connect it to the same color input on the converter

You'll need an audio video cable (like in option 1) to connect the converter to the DVD player and a short section of RF cable to connect the converter to the TV.  Again you can get these at the local radio shack, home improvement store, etc.

To watch TV, turn the TV to channel 3 like you do now.

To watch DVD, simply turn on the DVD player and it will "override" the signal from the STB and show up on the screen.  When done, simply turn off the DVD player and it will go back to regular TV automatically.

Here's a simple converter you can get from Amazon which will do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-CRF907-Compact-RF-Modulator/dp/B0014KKV7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8...

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you post the specific model numbers of the TV and DVD player, it would make it much easier to help you.   For instance, what other inputs does your TV and DVD player have available on it?

richtaylor1

First, let me thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post!

I hope the following information helps:

The TV is a Panasonic Combination VCR Model No. PV-C1322.  The TV has one coaxial VHF/UHF input on the back and video In and audio in inputs on the front, which the user manual says can be used for "dubbing."

The DVD player is a Koss Model No. KD250. It has the following inputs on the back:

1) Component Video Out with a red input marked CR, a blue input marked CB and green input marked Y.

2) Stereo Audio Out with Left (white) and Right (red) inputs

TV Video Out with two yellow inputs marked 1 and 2

3) Digital Audio Out with a yellow input marked coaxial.

4) One S-Video Out input

Thanks again and I would appreciate any help you can offer.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@richtaylor wrote:

I have an old Panasonic combination VCR TV that I want to connect to a DVD player via a Verizon-Motorola QIP71002 set top box. The Panasonic has only one coaxial input. (Presently, the TV is the only component connected to the set top box)

I'm told that I need to use an RF modulator, but I'm not sure how I would connect the various components using coaxial and composite audio cables.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I would connect to what or whether this is even possible?

Many thanks!

It is not possible to "connect a DVD player via a Verizon-Motorola QIP71002 set top box."  The STB does not accept any type of input and then pass it to a TV via the coax line, or an other STB output.

I checked the users manual for you unit and there should be front A/V jacks, which should be usable as inputs for your DVD player.  Check the documentation for the TV, so you should not need an RF modulator.  If you don't have them, you can download them from http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Televisions/TV-Combos/model.PV-C1322.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so here are your two options as I see it ...

Option 1 - Use the audio/video inputs on the TV

1. Connect FiOS box RF output (Coax) to the RF input on the TV (you probably have it this was already)

2. Connect the Stereo Audio Output (Red/White) and Video Out (Yellow) from the DVD player to the same color inputs on the TV front panel (you can get an audio/video cable online or at Radio Shack or Best Buy or some such store if you need one -- just get the cheapest they have, don't go buying the super expensive ones the sales people will try to sell you).

To watch TV, set the TV to channel 3 (or 4 if you have your STB set to 4).  To watch a DVD, set the TV to the Aux input setting.

Option 2 - Use an RF converter

1. Take the RF output from the STB and connect it to the RF input on the converter (Coax)

2. Connect the RF output from the converter to the RF inputer on the TV (Coax)

3. Take Stereo Audio out (Red/White) and Video (Yellow) from the DVD and connect it to the same color input on the converter

You'll need an audio video cable (like in option 1) to connect the converter to the DVD player and a short section of RF cable to connect the converter to the TV.  Again you can get these at the local radio shack, home improvement store, etc.

To watch TV, turn the TV to channel 3 like you do now.

To watch DVD, simply turn on the DVD player and it will "override" the signal from the STB and show up on the screen.  When done, simply turn off the DVD player and it will go back to regular TV automatically.

Here's a simple converter you can get from Amazon which will do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-CRF907-Compact-RF-Modulator/dp/B0014KKV7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8...

richtaylor1

Many, many thanks for your responses to my inquiry. Both of your suggested solutions worked beautifully, and I am now able to watch my DVDs on my bedroom TV.

I am deeply touched that you took the time to type out your responses and help out a total stranger.

Thank you very much and God bless!

0 Likes