Connection to TV without Coax
Rackrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

My house has NO coax connections.  I have 300/300 service and want to add TV.  Can the set top box be wired either directly thru the coax from the router (G3100) to the box or via ethernet?  These are my only 2 options.  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connection to TV without Coax
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The FiOS 4100 VMS requires a coaxial cable connection to operate. The Ethernet jack on the back of the unit is not used for anything. The extra coaxial connection to the router is needed to update channel guides as well as perform administrative tasks. This is how FiOS television has operated since inception even with the old Motorola STBs. (Side note, Motorola's STB division was acquired by Arris who makes the 4100).

The mini/remote STBs cannot operate in a standalone manner. In situations where only one STB is required, Verizon ships the VMS.

The mini unit does not contain a tuner. The VMS unit has six of them. The first two tuners are reserved for the VMS itself and the other four are automatically allocated to any mini that is added to the system.

Think of the mini as a glorified extension cord.

The only way that I can think of....and this is a huge stretch....to use an Ethernet connection alone to watch FiOS television would be to have Verizon provide a VMS and a mini...install the VMS in a central location where it can connect to the ONT and router using coaxial cable....and just let it sit there by itself. The mini would be located at the television and connect using an Ethernet cable.

As I said, this is a huge stretch, but it should theoretically work. 🤔

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the 4100 series units, the main unit (VMS) uses a coaxial cable connection to the 3100 router and to the ONT. The Ethernet jack on the rear is not used. The remote unit (mini) can connect via coaxial cable, Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Rackrat wrote:

My house has NO coax connections.  I have 300/300 service and want to add TV.  Can the set top box be wired either directly thru the coax from the router (G3100) to the box or via ethernet?  These are my only 2 options.  Thank you.

How is the G3100 connected to the ONT? Only Ethernet? There should be coax going to the router too, and if there is, simply add a MoCa 2.0 splitter and send one out to the router the other to the set top box. None of the Fios boxes are capable of operating ONLY on Ethernet. The VMS 4100 has to have a coax connection in order for it to get info for guides, DVR and info. The mini can go wireless or via Ethernet,, but it gets its info from the VMS box. You should be able to run coax from the ONT to the splitter, then to the router and the VMS box.

Rackrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, ONT connects only with Ethernet to the router.  There is a coax port, but it's currently not connected.  Why would both connections be needed to the router? What does the coax deliver that the Ethernet doesn't?

Can I just connect the coax directly from the ONT to the set top box?

I only need one box (TV).  Will the mini run without a VMS4100? or do I have to have both?  If I'm only using one TV, why do I need the Mini at all?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The FiOS 4100 VMS requires a coaxial cable connection to operate. The Ethernet jack on the back of the unit is not used for anything. The extra coaxial connection to the router is needed to update channel guides as well as perform administrative tasks. This is how FiOS television has operated since inception even with the old Motorola STBs. (Side note, Motorola's STB division was acquired by Arris who makes the 4100).

The mini/remote STBs cannot operate in a standalone manner. In situations where only one STB is required, Verizon ships the VMS.

The mini unit does not contain a tuner. The VMS unit has six of them. The first two tuners are reserved for the VMS itself and the other four are automatically allocated to any mini that is added to the system.

Think of the mini as a glorified extension cord.

The only way that I can think of....and this is a huge stretch....to use an Ethernet connection alone to watch FiOS television would be to have Verizon provide a VMS and a mini...install the VMS in a central location where it can connect to the ONT and router using coaxial cable....and just let it sit there by itself. The mini would be located at the television and connect using an Ethernet cable.

As I said, this is a huge stretch, but it should theoretically work. 🤔

Rackrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perfect.  Thank you.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

YouTube TV.  Problem solved.