DVR Content Wiped Out - Verizon Keeps Quiet About Known Problems.
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

While watching a recorded program on my FiOS Quantum MediaServer DVR, the show froze for about 20 seconds, and then the Media Server rebooted. It was back about 4 minutes later. Live TV was ok. I checked the System Information. It was fine. I went to the DVR - not fine. It showed NO PROGRAMMING AVAILABLE. There had been a number of shows recorded; the DVR was about 40% full before the reboot. Looking further showed the recording schedule was intact, as was the Series Manager. Shows I'd deleted the previous night showed as available to restore, but after restoring one, attempts to watch it revealed it really wasn't there. Repeated reboots, powering down, and "autofix" had no impact. 

After about an hour on the phone, first with Tech Support and then Billing/Sales, I came to learn that this is a "known software issue". However, Verizon doesn't let you know about it until after the fact. WRONG. Verizon should be forthcoming and openly share information.

I was repeatedly told, "Verizon regrets any inconvenience ... "  - often a very empty phrase that doesn't result in actions. After several exchanges about "how could Verizon make me happy", I settled for a callback.  While waiting I researched the alternatives available via the competition in my area. A few hours later Verizon called back and made me "an offer I couldn't refuse".  While my DVR content wasn't restored, we did come to an agreement that satisfied me.  A good outcome.

Verizon needs to introduce a "Known Issues Webpage" and share information better than they do today.  This is a standard for vendors in tech industries. Verizon should give it's customers the same things it expects from its vendors. 

Re: DVR Content Wiped Out - Verizon Keeps Quiet About Known Problems.
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe its a known software issue as yours is the first I have seen posted, but maybe its really new.

You may have a failed hard drive.

If it is a software issue, you might try a cold init

COLD INIT

1. Unplug the box.  Wait about 20 seconds.
  2. Plug back in and immediately begin repeatedly pressing MENU on remote until you see the word "run" on the front display
  3. Using the down arrow button, go down until you see "COLD".
  4. Press Ok and the box goes through activation process, including downloading the current IMG software

Note it will lose a bunch of settings but will not lose recordings.  Some of the settings shows as recording schedule MAY be recoverable from the cloud during the cold init.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

TNS_2 - It was Verizon FiOS tech support that said it was a know software issue. I didn't make that up.  Maybe they forgot to tell you too?

0 Likes
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing happened to me, TWICE in the last two weeks, the last time last Friday night, Aug 14. The only difference from you is I was watching live TV, the screen froze for 20 to 30 seconds, then the media server rebooted and everything came back in five minutes. But when I checked the DVR, everything recorded was gone, but the View Recordings list still has the programs listed, and in fact bought back programs deleted the night before.

I had nothing important recorded, just  shows like Dr. Phi, and Judge Judy among others. Still, they charge a pretty penny for the service, and Verizon should correct it if its a software problem.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

schinfchin - i urge you to call Verizon and let them know you arehaving a problem.  Important or not, we all pay for the service.  Verizon advertises "upgrade to Quantum" but doesn't really deliver all that it can.  Verizon could do better.  Unless subscribers provide feedback about problems, nothing will be done.  Please, take the time to let them know!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Althought not posted publicly by Verizon, they do know it is an issue.

(BTW, I don't think you will see mosy service provider or even most product provider put out a list of known bugs because it can be used as a marketing advantage against them)

And it is being addressed in the 4.28 release that some of us got last week and the rest should get Tue or Wed am this week.

ANGST1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had this happen to me today. Does anyone know if the schedule comes back after the fix ?

I would not think so, but support said it might Smiley Sad

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Schedule or recorded programs?

I have heard that some folks have had luck with either a reboot of the DVR or using the support tools and doing a DVR fix.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

CRob,

I understand your point about competition and marketing.

I also know, from personal experience, that Verizon requires software vendors to exactly what I am suggesting.  

Verizon requires that software releases provided to Verizon that have known problems MUST have those problems disclosed in the software docmentation provided with the release.  

Hiding problems is unethical.  A real estate agent may not do it, a car saleperson may not do it, Verizon vendors may not do it!.  Verizon should operate by the same rules when it acts as a vendor, as they do with FiOS services.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

CRob,

Schedule remained intact.

Recorded content was gone.

DVR read 0 Recorded Programs, 100% space available.

I discovered it after a "spontaneous reboot".

It persisted after several reboots (power disconnected).

I walked through many tries with Tech Support. 

None worked.

0 Likes