DVR - Editing start and end times
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Lately, i have noticed many shows that start at 8 pm and run to 9:01.  Or they start at 9pm and go to 10:01.

This is frustrating because my DVR can only record 2 shows at a time and this means I lose a show.

So I turn to the edit feature.  For some reason, that was set up to only extend the times. Not sure why.  Need the edit to shrink the times too.  I want the show to run within the hour. Why cant the edit shorten the end time???  Do the newer DVRs have that editing functionality??  I guess they record more shows at same time though.  Why would they not have the editing ability to set the time to what you want.  Maddening.  I end up having to go through my recordings and find other times and then record those and delete the other.  It is a lot of work. Who thought of only being able to extend times? why?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR - Editing start and end times
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

I have the second to most recent DVR (but I believe they all use the same sw). You can't shorten a recording.

According to this, you should be able to set your own start and stop times in manual recording. Not as simple as it could be, but still an option.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gcville wrote:

Lately, i have noticed many shows that start at 8 pm and run to 9:01.  Or they start at 9pm and go to 10:01.

This is frustrating because my DVR can only record 2 shows at a time and this means I lose a show.

So I turn to the edit feature.  For some reason, that was set up to only extend the times. Not sure why.  Need the edit to shrink the times too.  I want the show to run within the hour. Why cant the edit shorten the end time???  Do the newer DVRs have that editing functionality??  I guess they record more shows at same time though.  Why would they not have the editing ability to set the time to what you want.  Maddening.  I end up having to go through my recordings and find other times and then record those and delete the other.  It is a lot of work. Who thought of only being able to extend times? why?

Look here and you will find what you ask for:

Main Menu > DVR > Create New Recording > Manual Recording

gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks, but I think i tried that before and it is a lot of work. It is easier to just find a new time for one of the programs and shift to that.  Or to be able to use that edit feature. Need it in that edit feature. Why make it harder than it should be?

Also, that doesn't answer my question.  I still want to know if the newer DVRs can edit times both directions. Not sure why i can only extend them. The problem is that they run too long.  If anyone knows, please let me know. I think it may be time for me to get a new dvr.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the second to most recent DVR (but I believe they all use the same sw). You can't shorten a recording.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

According to this, you should be able to set your own start and stop times in manual recording. Not as simple as it could be, but still an option.