Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
DVR and external hard drive
wmoran

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR and external hard drive
PJL
Master

@wmoran wrote:

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master

@wmoran wrote:

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

0 Likes
wmoran

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

0 Likes
PJL
Master

@wmoran wrote:

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

Yes, the external drive is filled before the internal is used for new recordings.

0 Likes
wmoran

Thanks.  I may not see that because I don't know I'll ever fill a 1tb drive.

0 Likes