Default recording type
Newmar1

I want to set my DVR to record a series in 4K (if available), or HD if not available. There’s no option in the Default Series Options to make this happen. I tried selecting “all” in the “recording type” section, thinking it would look for the highest setting first (4K), then go down in quality from there:

- 4K if available

- HD if 4K isn’t available

- SD if HD isn’t available 

However, it doesn’t work this way. For example, I’m trying to record the Olympics, so I selected “All” in “recording type” and it’s randomly selecting different formats.

- Sometimes it will schedule to record in HD, sometimes in SD, but never 4K.

- Other times it will record every version of a title. The “scheduled recordings” list will show it’s going to record the same thing in SD, HD, and 4K

- If I select 4K in recording type, it will *only* find 4K content and will ignore everything else, including HD. 

For the record, I have every other setting set to use HD so that’s not the problem. (Automatically tune to HD if available, etc.)

Has anyone figured out a way to make it select 4K if available, and HD if not?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Default recording type
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Newmar wrote:

I want to set my DVR to record a series in 4K (if available), or HD if not available. There’s no option in the Default Series Options to make this happen. I tried selecting “all” in the “recording type” section, thinking it would look for the highest setting first (4K), then go down in quality from there:

- 4K if available

However, it doesn’t work this way. For example, I’m trying to record the Olympics, so I selected “All” in “recording type” and it’s randomly selecting different formats.

- Other times it will record every version of a title. The “scheduled recordings” list will show it’s going to record the same thing in SD, HD, and 4K

- If I select 4K in recording type, it will *only* find 4K content and will ignore everything else, including HD. 

For the record, I have every other setting set to use HD so that’s not the problem. (Automatically tune to HD if available, etc.)

Thanks!

You looked at the settings here: Main Menu > DVR > Configure & Upgrade>Default Series Options to see if anything in recording type or default channels apply to what you want to do right? The only other thing I can figure is manually programming by event for 4K, which would only be on channel 1491 or 1492, then globally programming for HD only.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Newmar wrote:

- 4K if available

Thanks!

You looked at the settings here: Main Menu > DVR > Configure & Upgrade>Default Series Options to see if anything in recording type or default channels apply to what you want to do right? The only other thing I can figure is manually programming by event for 4K, which would only be on channel 1491 or 1492, then globally programming for HD only.

Newmar1

Thanks for the reply!

The default options are already set to record HD, “all channels” are included (vs. a specific channel), etc. Everything is set up correctly. 

Hopefully the relevant people from Verizon look at this forum, and will realize this is an issue which needs to be addressed. It’s logical that when “all” is chosen within recording type, it should begin with the highest definition and go down from there, otherwise why even have “all” as an option? Do they think someone will want to record the same program in SD, HD and 4K?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Newmar wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

The default options are already set to record HD, “all channels” are included (vs. a specific channel), etc. Everything is set up correctly. 

Hopefully the relevant people from Verizon look at this forum, and will realize this is an issue which needs to be addressed. It’s logical that when “all” is chosen within recording type, it should begin with the highest definition and go down from there, otherwise why even have “all” as an option? Do they think someone will want to record the same program in SD, HD and 4K?

No, but by choosing ALL, you set it up to record ALL instances of the show regardless of resolution.

Newmar1

I don’t know why this was marked as Resolved, since the response simply said to program 4K manually, which was NOT the objective of my original post. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Newmar wrote:

I don’t know why this was marked as Resolved, since the response simply said to program 4K manually, which was NOT the objective of my original post. 

What if you set the Default Channels to the 2 4K channels and the HD channels for the programs you want.

Main Menu > DVR > Configure & Upgrade > Default Series Options>Default Channels