Do I need to ground my splitters?
RickyPicky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I now have a 2-way splitter right next to my ONT. An RG6 coax cable comes out of my ONT to the splitter's input. One output of the splitter goes to my Quantum Router, the other output goes to another splitter in my attic.

My question is does the 2-way splitter need to be grounded? Does the splitter in my attic need to be grounded?

I read somewhere that since the ONT is grounded I don't need to ground COAX and/or splitters.  I also read that if I have more than one ground, it could cause 'ground loop' issues?

By the way, the 2-way splitter is outside and attached to my aluminum siding.

Any help would be appreciated.`

0 Likes
Re: Do I need to ground my splitters?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT is grounded then you don't need to ground the splitters. 

RickyPicky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response!

I have an ONT611.  How can I tell if it's properly grounded?  What should I look for?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually, I should of asked what ONT you have. The ONT and first splitter should be grounded. You could also use a coax ground block like in the picture. If your ONT look like this the ground wire will be the third one from the left. Staring on the left is the fiber, power wire, then ground wire. Verizon uses 10 gauge for grounds. 

imageimage
RickyPicky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for all the help.

My ONT is an ONT611.  I don't think the original Verizon install had a coax ground block anywhere near the ONT.  I'll take pics later today or tomorrow morning and post what it currently looks like.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah that came out later on down the line. I was trying to find the info in the forums but I struck out. It has something to do with the coax port and ground block not sharing a common bus. 

You can ground the ONT to the ground rod or grounding conductors leading to the ground rod. Then the coax can be connected to a ground block like in the picture or directly on the first splitter. 

RickyPicky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Raining too hard this morning to get a decent picture.

I was able to verify the ONT is grounded. There is a wire coming from the ONT to a grounding block and the grounding block has another wire going underneath the siding. I'm hoping that it ends at a ground somewhere - will check later.