Do You Lose Everything on External Drive After Power Loss?
Lipappy

Hi is it true that if you have to reboot the STB or if it automatically reboots due to a power failure that you'll lose everything stored on the create-your-own hard drive? Thanks. Would also love to hear about any updates since it's been a few years... Any regret for not getting case with a fan  any tips from anyone whose recently done this? I have the Cisco 435 STB. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Re: Do You Lose Everything on External Drive After Power Loss?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No it is not supposed to lose everything from a power outage. But it does automatically reformat when you plug it into a new DVR if the one you have goes bad. 

Also Verizon does not support the external hard drives on the newer VMS DVRs. 

Re: Do You Lose Everything on External Drive After Power Loss?
Lipappy

Hi, 

Yes, I had replied to another old thread about someone who shared a way to build an external HD since Western Digital stopped making the three eSATA drives they once recommended to buy if you have an older model and my parents have one so I was going to try to build one for them. But the thread was too old so the moderator made this a new thread so it seems like it is coming a little bit out of thin air, but the thread involved using a eSATA Drive and buying a housing for it any shielded cable. I'm just surprised nobody responded to it after three or four years. You probably don't know what I'm talking about but if you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I kind of wish to thread could have stayed where it was so that all the people that had replied to the thread may have been able to see my reply and respond in kind but yeah dot dot. Just wondering if a homemade hard drive would be any different in a power loss then the hard drives that you could once buy from Western Digital. It seemed like people were saying that if the set-top box gets reset you automatically lose everything from the external hard drive since things store to the external hard drive before they do the internal one but I would think that that would drive a lot of people crazy to not want to put up with that.

0 Likes