Does Media Manager Need Router To Work?
birddream

I am very new to "wireless" anything, as I've never owned a laptop, so I don't quite understand how the router works.  I didn't like the idea of people tapping into my wireless, and since I don't need it to operate anything else in the house, I researched how to turn off the wireless setting on the router.  A few days later I noticed that my Media Manager is now saying it's not able to access my computer.  I'm not sure if it's due to that or something else.

I was under the understanding that media streams through the coax of the house, so I wouldn't think that turning off the wireless setting should have made a difference.

Does the wireless setting need to be turned on for media manager to work?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Media Manager Need Router To Work?
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

birdstream, unfortunately Media Manager is notoriously unreliable.  I have to uninstall it and reinstall it constantly just to get it to work.  You need it to be running on your PC at the time you go to use it (not just installed), but the if you're having the same issue as me, I feel for you.  I gave up using MM myself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where is the media manager software installed?  The STB's and the PC where the Media Manager is installed must be on the same phyiscal network -- meaning the PC must either be directly attached to the ActionTec router (the STB's communicate to the same network as the ports on the ActionTec through the cable connection on the router).   The wireless on the ActionTec is also on this same network as the hardwire ports and the STB's.

0 Likes
birddream

I'm sorry I don't understand.  The router is plugged into the wall via a coax, and so is my tv out in the livingroom.  I don't think they are directly connected together.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a technology called MoCA which transmits Ethernet over Coax.   The STB's use this network to talk to the router and subsequently thru the router to the Internet to get their Guide and OnDemand information.   The private side of this network which rides on the cable is also the same network as the four hardwire ports on the router and the wireless connection which is also inside the router.

The Media Manager feature runs on a PC.  The STB's basically reach thru the Coax via the MoCA technology to the PC (either attached to the hardwire ports or the wireless network on the router) to talk to the Media Manager software on the PC.

So, where do you have the Media Manager software installed and how is this PC connected to the network?  

0 Likes
birddream

Media Manager is installed on my PC (where else would it be installed?)  My PC is connected to the router via an ethernet cable and a coaxial (because my computer also has a tv tuner).  There is no network in my house.  It's just a PC in one room and the TV with DVR in the living room. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Trust me, you gotta ask these questions ...  you wouldn't believe how many times in scenarios like this the answer comes back "oh, you need a PC?".

Now,  help me understand better by answering these questions / confirming these statements ...

The PC is in one room and you have an ethernet cable which is running over to the room and plugging directly into the ActionTec router from Verizon?   No other networking gear, routers, etc.

The Coax into the PC doesn't really go "to" the router, it's just on the same Coax network as the router which ultimately wind their way back to the ONT?

The PC can reach internet websites without any problems?

There's no wireless card in the PC?

The STB's are also attached to the same Coax as the router.

There is no ethernet cable from the router going to the ONT -- it's just Coax

What kind of anti-virus / firewall product are you running on the PC?

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

birdstream, unfortunately Media Manager is notoriously unreliable.  I have to uninstall it and reinstall it constantly just to get it to work.  You need it to be running on your PC at the time you go to use it (not just installed), but the if you're having the same issue as me, I feel for you.  I gave up using MM myself.

0 Likes
birddream

Wow, you saved my day.  I did NOT realize it had to be up and running for it to work.  That was the problem.  As for whether or not it will freeze, that's another question, but for now, thank you for helping me getting it to work again.

0 Likes
ELS2

I have media manager installed on my pc and is running. When I try to access media manager on the tv, it gives me a message "DEVICE NOT FOUND", "CHECK IF THE MEDIA MANAGER IS RUNNING ON YOUR PC".

I believe that the STB could not communicate to the PC. I feel that the PC is communicating with the STB because I managed to troubleshoot the STB from the PC.

I talked to 6 tech support people of verizon so far. I granted three of them remote access to my pc and they checked everything they could. They assured me that there is nothing wrong with my PC. All firewall requirements were taken care of too.

The STB was changed and tried. Didn't work. The router was replaced and tried. Didn't work either. I don't know what is going on. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any other networking devices besides the Verizon router to which your PC is connected? 

0 Likes