Does Verizon require you to pay for a digital adapter even if you don't need it?
qetuop1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently discovered, much to my annoyance, that I don't actually need one.  I was told I did when I signed up so I used it.

When they recently raised the rate by another $2 (to improve their fantaboulous service!) I found out that not only do I get more channels, a better signal but can go back to using my tv remote and it's extra features, when I hook direclty to the tv.

I'm told by a service rep that I must pay for the adapter and can't return it.  What exactly is their definition of "need"?  Or am I missing somehting.  I guess I *need* it so they can justify charging me an extra $8 a month.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Verizon require you to pay for a digital adapter even if you don't need it?
qetuop1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The answer is no.  They will remove the equiment rental charge and allow you to return it.  I just had to get my local consumer protection group involved. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon require you to pay for a digital adapter even if you don't need it?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

W/O digitial adapter, you should get all of the SD channels that are part of your package.

With a connection to your TV, you will get local channels only.

Can't see how you get more with your TV connected to cable vs using adapter.

That being said, you only need it if you want the channels it provides.

0 Likes
EJRW
Contributor - Level 1

What does the digital adapter adpater do?

It looks like it takes the signalling (MoCA?) on the COAX and converts it to something your TV can use (RF, composite, componite, HDMI?). 

This might be answering a question I just asked (link), in regards to what's on the coax and can I use it.

Thanks for this post. Gave me somthing else to Google. 

Eric

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Digital adapter takes the QAM signals (both clear and encoded) and makes them into a signal a TV can show.

Keep in mind the current FIOS digital adapter is SD only.

MOCA is a protocol for sending data not TV signals across the link.

EJRW
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks again! Heart

0 Likes
qetuop1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The answer is no.  They will remove the equiment rental charge and allow you to return it.  I just had to get my local consumer protection group involved. 

0 Likes