End is cut off when I record the next show on the same channel with DVR
hisashiy

Let's say, I record a show from 9:00 to 10:00 and the next show from 10:00 to 11:00, both are on the same channel.  The last several seconds of the show ending 10:00 is cut off, even if I extend the ending time by 1 minute since the recording of the next show from 10:00 already started.  It can't record both at the same time if they are on the same channel.  I saw some people had the same problem in this forum long time ago but still no solutions.  Could it be solved if I change or fix the DVR?  Mine is Motorola's.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: End is cut off when I record the next show on the same channel with DVR
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its an issue with the content providers.

They run the shows over a few seconds.

It should be picked up at the very beginning of the next show.

0 Likes
hisashiy
Thank you for your comment.

With Tme Warner Cable DVR I could record two shows on the same channel without being cut off by extending the end time by one minute. But the Fios DVR stops recording the first show as soon as the second show starts. No overlapping.
0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've noticed this and I do think it's the channel providers problem.  Last night, I was watching something on ID (FIOS 623) and the clock on the STB clicked over to 12:00 (midnight) yet the program was still doing it's closing and showing the credits.  About 20 seconds later, the next show started.

If the DVR is simply using the clock on the STB to determine start and end times (and I'm sure that it is), then the provider is running over the timeslot.  I see this a lot on AMC (FIOS 731).

Also, something else I noticed is that the "Standard Definition" and "High Definition" channels for the same provide do not "line up", the HD channel is several seconds behind the SD channel.  You can verify this by switching back and forth using the "last" button.  So, it's possible that, if you are recording the HD channel, that this delay is why the program "runs long by several seconds".

Now it could also be that the channel provider and FIOS disagree on the time-of-day, I doubt they are synchronized to military precision 🙂

Hope this help a little

0 Likes
hisashiy
Thank you for your comment.

I have noticed the channel provider's problems of the time lag. But with Time Warner Cable, I could record 9:00 - 10:01 and 10:00 - 11:01 (between 10:00 and 10:01 it records both shows on the same channel) so that end of the first show is never cut off even it start recording the latter show.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Something unusual then with the Time warner box.  I've seen similar problems as the verizon box on Brighthouse, DirecTv, Dish and Comcast DVR's.

0 Likes