Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Esata External Drive Maximum Capacity Question
eb1231
Enthusiast

I have a 2 TB WD esata drive and the STB only recognizes 1 TB of it (I just replaced an older 1 TB WD drive with it).  Is the STB supposed to recognize all 2 TB of external storage?  Mine does not.  When I go to the HDD diagnostic page (press the D button for 3 seconds and then press OK) the stb diagnostic sofware recognizes 1.8 TB capacity of it (drive 1 - the external drive) but only formatted a 1 TB partition and a 1 GB partition for it.  I wasted 2 hours on several calls to FIOS support on this issue with no answer:  one guy says there is no limit and said I needed to change my dvr recording default from "save until space is needed" to "save until I delete" to force the STB to recognize the second TB of space.  I did this and the stb still deletes shows to make room for new when the 1 TB level is reached on the external drive; the second had no idea and wasted a bunch of my time before I had to hang up and the third one refused to answer any qustions because I am not using the Verizon recommended 500 GB or 1 TB WD drives listed on your website even though the Verizon FAQ on esata says there is no maximum limit for esata drive storage.  All I was trying to find out was if the software will actually format multiple 1 TB partitions on the external drive or does it only format a 1 TB and a 1 GB like it did on mine.  My set to box is a cisco chs 435hdc.

0 Likes
Re: Esata External Drive Maximum Capacity Question
kleefton20

Interesting. 

I read somewhere that you could only use up to 2 TB for an external hard drive for that same box. 

I used to have a 2 TB drive on there but it failed after falling on the floor. It never felt like I had 2 TB though, as it filled up quickly.  I now have a 500GB and using the menu screen that you used it is showing that I only have 96GB free even though the dvr menu shows it is only 22% full. 

My guess is that there is something wrong with that menu. 

0 Likes
eb1231
Enthusiast

What is the total space and free space for drive 0 and drive 1?

0 Likes
kleefton20

Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 are showing 465 GB, whih is correct.

However, the free disk space does not make sense though. 

Drive 0  currently shows 10GB free while DVR menu says 62% full 

Drive 1 currently shows 150GB free while DVR menu says 43% full 

I think one of those menus is faulty,. Most likely the Drive 0 and Drive 1 menu. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master

@kleefton20 wrote:

Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 are showing 465 GB, whih is correct.

However, the free disk space does not make sense though. 

Drive 0  currently shows 10GB free while DVR menu says 62% full 

Drive 1 currently shows 150GB free while DVR menu says 43% full 

I think one of those menus is faulty,. Most likely the Drive 0 and Drive 1 menu. 

Have you tried a reboot?  I used to have issues with incorrect percentage vs. areported free space and a reboot seemed to clean it up.

0 Likes