Extending Fios cable to a longer reach
illicious
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently acquired Fios internet and would like to how could i extend the in wire.

My modem/router sitting on top of my PC and would like to move it to the top desk just a few feet away and I currently cannot reposition the modem/router because the fios wire does not reach to where i want to place it.

I also do not want to bend or force the fios wire up as the verizon agent that did the installation that day instructed to try not to bend the wire.

Ive beed using the older phone line and ethernet cables for a long time so i don't know what specifically the fios cable is called.

I know it is some fiber optic cable so im trying to look for a female to male extender (about 3 or 6 feet) so i can reposition my modem/router.

Not since i don't know the name let me be clear on what cable im looking for just in case.

It is not the telephone wire, or the ethernet but that wire that looks like the old cable TV wire.

It runs directly to the back of the fios modem/router labled "Coax".

I am not sure if it is just a regular coax cable so im just trying to make sure.

So does anyone know exactly what type of cable this is and if a extension is possible to be purchased?

PS:

The agent dude accidently took my little modem/router stand so i can't leave it stading up. Ill have to find that too or call verizon.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extending Fios cable to a longer reach
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Every time you add a connector to a UHF feed it adds a small amount of loss.  But given the situation you describe, I'd go for a just long enough RG6 cable with factory attached connectors, and a female-to-female adapter like the one I linked to above from Best Buy.

The cable and adapter will only cost a few dollars.  Try it.  It's simple and cheap.   If it causes any problem (which I'd be willing to be it won't) you can always try something different.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

That wire is just regular RG6 coax.     You can go to any home improvement and purchase a preterminated cable rated for digital use of whatever length you require (don't extend the current coax, just replace it entirely if it runs between your router and a wall plate).

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're looking to save some money, you can purchase from amazon.com or from www.monoprice.com

SUPER UBER DUPER cheap.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

In addition to the above comments, if your coax isn't coming out of wall connector and you want to easily extend it, just buy a 6 ft. (or however long you need) RG6 patch cable  from Radio Shack, or Best Buy, or almost anywhere, any use a "barrel" like these to connect the existing cable to the patch cable:

http://tinyurl.com/68lryw5

(Link to Best Buy SKU 6346536)

illicious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replys.

Replace the entire wire?

The thing is im not sure how it was installed on the outside.

The dude drilled a hole in the wall which then he passed the cable from there and i saw him working on the elevated telephone poles outside.

I don't understand how i would go about replacing the whole wire.

If just from inside then i would have to cut the wire coming out the wall and somehow join it with another new one?

If rewiring completely including from the outside then ide have to examine what the guy did and find the box if there is one but if it runs straight from the tele pole line i can't touch that.

Im thinking maybe finding a tri or quad shielded RG6 male to female cable or just a regular rg6 cable with a female by female adapter.

Why is an extension no good?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Every time you add a connector to a UHF feed it adds a small amount of loss.  But given the situation you describe, I'd go for a just long enough RG6 cable with factory attached connectors, and a female-to-female adapter like the one I linked to above from Best Buy.

The cable and adapter will only cost a few dollars.  Try it.  It's simple and cheap.   If it causes any problem (which I'd be willing to be it won't) you can always try something different.

illicious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright. Ill try the easy method for now.

Thanks a bunch to everyone.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

My assumption was that the cable ran from your router to a coax outlet on the wall of your home (and then thru the interior walls of your home to wherever the cable plant entered the home).   If you have a direct run from the ONT thru the wall to your router with the connection first terminating on a wall plate somewhere, then as the previous poster indicated, a simple female-female adapter and a length of factory terminated male-male cable will do the trick  (a length of male-female coax would also work obviously, but would be much hard to find since it's not a standard kind of requirement).   The adapter and cable as described can be very inexpensively obtained at a local home improvement store.

ScorpioKyng

I need it to go in another room

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes