FIOS TV HD DVR Firmware Upgrade Nightmare
TisBarbara
Enthusiast - Level 1

In mid-March, Verizon upgraded the firmware and we have had problems with our home theater system ever since. When we turn on our system to watch TV, a "DV1" (or DU1) message flashes on the HD box and our Bose 5.1 surround sound system box message reads no video signal. However, if we start the system again, it works.  However, it often takes SEVERAL times of shutting down and turning on until it works correctly.  If we start the system and change the channel as the HDMI setting on the TV is turned on, it seems to help, but it's a pain to have to cycle through the process several times.

We've talked with Verizon customer service MANY times and were originally told  some customers experienced problems with their home theater systems after the mid-March upgrade.  Verizon reset the box upteen times, sent us coaxal cables, and most recently sent us a replacement box, but the problem persists.  Now, Verizon insists there's the issue is with our surround sound system. However, we haven't changed any of the setting on our sound system; the only change to any of our home theater system is the Verizon firmware upgrade which Verizon originally told us impacted mor ethan just us.

We've been suffering with the problem for more than two months and it appears Verizon is denying any responsiblity for screwing our home theater system up (that we paid $$$$ to a professional to install 2 years ago).

HELP!!  Any advice on where to go from here to get to resolve the issue is very welcome!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV HD DVR Firmware Upgrade Nightmare
Hubrisnxs
Legend

there are known HDMI handshake issues like you're describing, and I think from the way you're describing everything , that it's just a timing issue with regards to how you are turning on your system.   try turning them on in order, allowing one device to boot up then turning on another device etc... do this manually     if you find that this fixes your problem then you may want to invest in a better remote than the free one verizon offers like a harmony

the verizon provided remote does not have a function where you can program the boxes to turn off in order at a set time, the more advanced controllers will allow you to program an interval, like turn on cable box, pause 4 seconds, turn on tv, pause 4 seconds turn on bose system etc....   you can play with that functionality.    

unfortunately when verizon puts out an update like that they don't roll it back for issues like you describe.   they simply put out fixes in the next release and depending on the number of complaints (that is the only way for them to gaugeg how wide spread an issue is) they will put the update faster than on schedule or leave their updates oon schedule and you'll have to wait for the next update to see if it fixes it.   if you're looking for an immediate solution you have TWO

one is to do lke I described, above, or switch to component cable set up with a digital or optical audio   if you switch to component and optical audio then you'll see no degredation in terms of audio or video quality and you're problem will be resolved.  

or if you're a die hard hdmi fan, then the above remote pause thing may work if you test it out manually.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chucklesclown
Enthusiast - Level 2

Welcome to the club. I have had the same problem since that date when they did mine. WHite screens/blackscreens and then almost test pattern screens when I change channels. Takes upto 25 seconds sometimes to switch between the channels. After pointing out the probs the the rep 6-7 time in the hour and 1/2 I was on line and having to redo favorites on every TV @ times after the resets he finally admitted that they had some issues with the upgrade.

They sent me component video and audio cables to "solve" the problem. If I wanted to have 5 cables instead on 1 running to the TV from my receiver, I wouldn't' have replaced my receiver and numerous other components.

As of yet there is no answer other than "we may do another upgrade in June or July"

How can a company that has it made, was providing great service follow in AT&T's foot steps and become so bad so fast?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

there are known HDMI handshake issues like you're describing, and I think from the way you're describing everything , that it's just a timing issue with regards to how you are turning on your system.   try turning them on in order, allowing one device to boot up then turning on another device etc... do this manually     if you find that this fixes your problem then you may want to invest in a better remote than the free one verizon offers like a harmony

the verizon provided remote does not have a function where you can program the boxes to turn off in order at a set time, the more advanced controllers will allow you to program an interval, like turn on cable box, pause 4 seconds, turn on tv, pause 4 seconds turn on bose system etc....   you can play with that functionality.    

unfortunately when verizon puts out an update like that they don't roll it back for issues like you describe.   they simply put out fixes in the next release and depending on the number of complaints (that is the only way for them to gaugeg how wide spread an issue is) they will put the update faster than on schedule or leave their updates oon schedule and you'll have to wait for the next update to see if it fixes it.   if you're looking for an immediate solution you have TWO

one is to do lke I described, above, or switch to component cable set up with a digital or optical audio   if you switch to component and optical audio then you'll see no degredation in terms of audio or video quality and you're problem will be resolved.  

or if you're a die hard hdmi fan, then the above remote pause thing may work if you test it out manually.  

0 Likes
maddawgmurph

Our household also has the problem, and I think I know what it is. As they rolled out the new widgets, the longer it took for the tv attached to the hdmi to the Home theatre to hdmi to the VZ fios box. I know have a 6 minute boot

one minute for each item they have added.

TV upgrade, Facebook, Widgets weather, Widgets Traffic, etc

I can only get a good picture (I also have the white, Black, purple white black bars (ie. test pattern) if I complete trun everything off and start even during the same day.

Once it never came back and I unplugged the box and started over after talking to Tech Support

amazingly, the thread is right. VZ will not allow me to stop facebook and twitter etc - things I do not want on my tv. I want TV on my TV. WHen TV was on my TV, my TV was a great TV.

now that my TV is a PC TV, I hate my PCTV but still love my TV

0 Likes
TisBarbara
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, I appreciate everyone's input and commiserate with those of you suffering with the same issue.  However, hubrisnxs' response helped us resolve our problem.

We already have a Harmony remote, so we decided to try the suggestion re: increasing the time delay between each component turning on.  Using the manual remotes to turn on each component, we determined the order and approximate delay time needed btwn each component. After many trial and error attempts to nail the timing down, we came up with the following formula: audio => 5 secs => DVR => 5 secs => TV. 

It takes longer to cycle through the process to turn on/off all the components, but it works EVERY TIME.

Thank you! Thank you!  Thank you!  The nightmare is over!

If only we could be sure that the next firmware upgrade won't screw it up again!  If it happens again, Verizon could lose us...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I'm really glad that worked out for you, and that you already had a harmony remote really helped out!   that harmony is a gorgeous remote, and I keep trying to tell my wife to let me buy it, but she won't let me shell out the dough for it, so I just make excuses to go look at it in the store.

😞   it's a sad world I live in....

jk    glad it helped though. 

0 Likes
Addicted2Aero

Oh goodie!  Looking forward to more problems after this update is complete!  How long does it take?  I've had this annoying, blinking icon on my dvr for 3 days now!!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That was 8 hearts and at least one if not two hardware versions ago.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes