FIOS TV One Boxes - Picture Freeze & Distortion, Slow Channel Change
GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIOS TV One Mini & DVR units were great up until a few months ago.  Slow channel changes, distorted picture (black and color lines/blocks) and picture freezes constantly on certain channels - of course this happens on the channels I want to watch!  No picture quality issues while watching On Demand shows or Netflix.  I've used the phone app to troubleshoot and resolve to no avail.  Online chat via Facebook messenger was a waste of time as it resulted in no resolution.  I provided video footage of the actual problem.  Calls to the business office and technical support has resulted in 8 hour hold time and NEVER connecting to a representative.  I've unplugged all devices, unplugged the coaxial cables and reconnected, along with resetting router, ONT and all 7 boxes - ALL TO NO AVAIL.  Any suggestions on a fix for this annoying problem??  Since Verizon has been unable to solve the problem using its remote technical support it seems the only option left is to say good-bye to FIOS TV and return to DirecTV.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV One Boxes - Picture Freeze & Distortion, Slow Channel Change
GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon technician came out Sunday afternoon. She replaced interior and external equipment. Problem resolved. Kudos to technician Marissa! 

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GemNic wrote:

FIOS TV One Mini & DVR units were great up until a few months ago.  Slow channel changes, distorted picture (black and color lines/blocks) and picture freezes constantly on certain channels - of course this happens on the channels I want to watch!  No picture quality issues while watching On Demand shows or Netflix.  I've used the phone app to troubleshoot and resolve to no avail.  Online chat via Facebook messenger was a waste of time as it resulted in no resolution.  I provided video footage of the actual problem.  Calls to the business office and technical support has resulted in 8 hour hold time and NEVER connecting to a representative.  I've unplugged all devices, unplugged the coaxial cables and reconnected, along with resetting router, ONT and all 7 boxes - ALL TO NO AVAIL.  Any suggestions on a fix for this annoying problem??  Since Verizon has been unable to solve the problem using its remote technical support it seems the only option left is to say good-bye to FIOS TV and return to DirecTV.

How is your internet speed behaving? I've seen problems like that caused by a bad router, or a bad ONT. Either way you need a tech to come out. Try the Twitter or chat route to get a tech scheduled. You could try DSLREPORTS Verizon direct forum too.

GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Internet is great.  Brand new Verizon router. TV service is underwhelming 😡 ONT is original one installed back in 2007, when house was built.  I am 2nd home owner and moved in 2010

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GemNic wrote:

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Internet is great.  Brand new Verizon router. TV service is underwhelming 😡 ONT is original one installed back in 2007, when house was built.  I am 2nd home owner and moved in 2010

ONT should have been upgraded by now. You may still have the older type. If you open the front you should see a black rectangular box inside.image

This is the newer one. If you have a different model contact support to get upgraded.

GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

 thank you! This is a pic of my ONT

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GemNic wrote:

 thank you! This is a pic of my ONT

Looks like the old one to me! You need to get that updated to the new one. Tech  should have done that when they gave you the new router. Contact support and tell them you need an updated ONT. I'd also replace any splitters with new MOCA 2.0 certified splitters if you can.

GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for confirming! Getting through to tech support is challenging. Tried by phone, chat via App, & FB messenger. Any suggestions for how to get a repair request in less than 5 hours 🤦‍♀️? I had to install the router, boxes and connect cables to ONT when I switched from DirecTV to Fios. A Verizon tech has never been here!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GemNic wrote:

Thanks for confirming! Getting through to tech support is challenging. Tried by phone, chat via App, & FB messenger. Any suggestions for how to get a repair request in less than 5 hours 🤦‍♀️? I had to install the router, boxes and connect cables to ONT when I switched from DirecTV to Fios. A Verizon tech has never been here!

Unfortunately, that is another effect of the virus. All at home services are slow, and tech support is overwhelmed by so many more people being home. Keep trying, I'd try Verizon direct on DSLreports if you can't get through. Check the coax and splitters. They have a HUGE effect on the video.

GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon technician came out Sunday afternoon. She replaced interior and external equipment. Problem resolved. Kudos to technician Marissa! 

GemNic
Enthusiast - Level 2

PROBLEM RESOLVED! New ONT installed Sunday afternoon and old equipment in basement replaced Sunday afternoon.  On Saturday morning I finally connected with tech support via Verizon app chat and rep secured 8/9/20 site visit. Technician Marissa quickly resolved issue and tested TVs on each floor.