FIOS TV One STB 3.5mm Audio Out
Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope someone will see this post and have an idea. Here's what I have:

Kitchen TV has no audio out whatsoever. TV is connected and paired to FIOS TV One mini box. I have a pair of iHome computer speakers I'd like to use which have both USB and 3.5 mm connector. I turned tv speakers off on TV remote, changed volume on STB to variable. When speakers are connected to STB 3.5 mm audio out jack, I can hear the sound clear but loud. I cannot figure out how to control their volume. Mute, etc doesn't work either. I tried to select the additional speaker option on STB remote option but it wouldn't pair or recognize the iHome brand. I think that covers it. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV One STB 3.5mm Audio Out
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jacjr wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

There is no "audio out" on the back of the mini. That is an AV out that you should have gotten an adapter for with the box. The adapter has a yellow RCA video and audio out. You would need a Male RCA to  whatever the input of the speakers is., using the white RCA from the fios adapter. You were correct changing the audio out to variable. The volume control on the remote will then control the volume.

So let me see if I understand what you're saying. Into the 3.5 mm Jack on the FiOS TV One with a three-way RCA   female to 3.5 mm male splitter which my Verizon tech gave me. RCA male into the splitter red white for stereo to get sound to both speakers. The other end of the male would have to go into an RCA female to 3.5 mm female to connect to the speaker input. I'm I thinking about that right? 

You buy a Male stereo RCA to Male 3.5mm cable, pretty common. The red and whte Male RCA of the cable plug into the female red and white RCAs from the Fios adapter. The 3.5 mm of the cable plugs into the speaker input. Boom, that should work. If you look closely at the Fios adapter you'll see there are 4 rings, not 3 like the 3.5mm cable. The 4th is for the video, so using a 3 conductor plug into the mini doesn't work. 

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no "audio out" on the back of the mini. That is an AV out that you should have gotten an adapter for with the box. The adapter has a yellow RCA video and audio out. You would need a Male RCA to  whatever the input of the speakers is., using the white RCA from the fios adapter. You were correct changing the audio out to variable. The volume control on the remote will then control the volume.

Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

@clem53 wrote:

So let me see if I understand what you're saying. Into the 3.5 mm Jack on the FiOS TV One with a three-way RCA   female to 3.5 mm male splitter which my Verizon tech gave me. RCA male into the splitter red white for stereo to get sound to both speakers. The other end of the male would have to go into an RCA female to 3.5 mm female to connect to the speaker input. I'm I thinking about that right? 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jacjr wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

You buy a Male stereo RCA to Male 3.5mm cable, pretty common. The red and whte Male RCA of the cable plug into the female red and white RCAs from the Fios adapter. The 3.5 mm of the cable plugs into the speaker input. Boom, that should work. If you look closely at the Fios adapter you'll see there are 4 rings, not 3 like the 3.5mm cable. The 4th is for the video, so using a 3 conductor plug into the mini doesn't work. 

Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: 

I am now attempting to use a JBL portable bluetooth speaker with 3.5mm aux jack.

When I plug in the 3-way 3.5 to rca female (red, white, yellow) into the AV out on the FIOS mini, then RCA male (red, white) to female splitter, I don't get sound at all whether changing box to fixed volume or variable.  Attempted to try and program the remote with the JBL (it searched for codes to control it) but no luck.  If they AV out on the FiOS mini is working, I should get something.  Nothing.  

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again, the adapter that has to be used from the mini to any source should have been given to you with the mini. It's a 4 conductor mini plug, not 3 as you are trying to use. Once you get the 4 conductor adaptor in the mini, you have rca audio and a video out. Get an Rca Male to 3.5mm stereo adaptor to go to your speaker.

@Jacjr wrote:

Update: 

I am now attempting to use a JBL portable bluetooth speaker with 3.5mm aux jack.

When I plug in the 3-way 3.5 to rca female (red, white, yellow) into the AV out on the FIOS mini, then RCA male (red, white) to female splitter, I don't get sound at all whether changing box to fixed volume or variable.  Attempted to try and program the remote with the JBL (it searched for codes to control it) but no luck.  If they AV out on the FiOS mini is working, I should get something.  Nothing.  

teonyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's a simpler solution - use the AV out as a headphone or speaker out, and you can use the master volume within the fios one box to control your speaker volume.   It's a little awkward each time, but here's the steps:

for one time only, volume control must be set on variable:
menu>settings>audio & video>audio>volume control>variable

now to control the volume:

menu>settings>audio & video>audio>fios tv one volume.

I appreciate what other posters said about the AV out, and they're correct, but this is a feasible work around without using other adapters.   Good luck.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@teonyc wrote:

Here's a simpler solution - use the AV out as a headphone or speaker out, and you can use the master volume within the fios one box to control your speaker volume.   It's a little awkward each time, but here's the steps:

for one time only, volume control must be set on variable:
menu>settings>audio & video>audio>volume control>variable

now to control the volume:

menu>settings>audio & video>audio>fios tv one volume.

I appreciate what other posters said about the AV out, and they're correct, but this is a feasible work around without using other adapters.   Good luck.

Please remember that is not an audio Jack on the back of the mini, it is a 4 conductor AV jack, you have to use a 4 conductor AV adapter to use it.

0 Likes
billjans

This solution also worked for me to connect an ear set to the FiosTV minibox.  The composite cable adapter from Verizon plugged into the A/V port on the minibox.  I bought the male to male connector as recommended.  This plugged into the transmitter on the ear set.  Then the red and white connectors on the male to male connector plugged into the red and white connectors on the composite cable.  Connecting directly to the minibox solved the problem of very poor sound when trying to connect the transmitter to an older TV.

0 Likes