FIOS TV sound problem
Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had a problem with drop off sound for some time. I usually channel up one on my remote and then channel back to the channel I was watching to get the sound back. I've reset my box, called Verizon and had my box reset remotely, and recently had new sofware added to  my Motorola box remotely via chat support. I still have the problem. Last Saturday, I used on demand for the 1st time to watch a movie and every 10 minutes, the sound would go off and come back after 2 minutes. Can anyone help? I have a Sony Bravio LCD TV with HDMI cables hooked to a Verizon HD Motorola box. Thank you   

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV sound problem
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Common problem with HDMI cables and some model TV's having trouble with decoding and syncing various digital audio formats.  Try the change to the STB described here ...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Vizio-with-no-HD-audio/m-p/272841/highligh...

Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello and thank you for responding. I tried your suggestion of pressing power and then menu on my box. I got the main menu and scrolled down to "audio." I then arrowed over to the drop down menu: Set top box volume, audio format, volume control and dynamic range. I did not see a "white users screen" or "additional HDMI settings."  I did notice that my settings for "set top box volume is 24, my audio format did read "surround sound" which I do not have so I changed it to "stereo." The volume control reads "variable." My other choice is "fixed." and finally my dynamic range reads "heavy." Would you have any other suggestions to help me fix my drop off problem? Thanks

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're not in the right spot ....

With everything turned ON and you watching a regular TV channel, you must press "power", "select", then "menu" (each individually and about 1/2 second apart directly on the STB) to bring up the STB configuration menu.  This will be a screen with a white background and black text -- the top line of which will read "User Settings".

What model STB do you have?

Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello lasagna. Thanks again for responding. It took me several tries, but I managed to get the white screen/black text and changed the settings. My STB is a Motorola HD QIP6200-2. At first, the screen showed that the "Audio Output" was N/A and I could not access it.  I right arrowed anyway and the Audio Output became accessible(can't figure out how that happened). I continued to right arrow until L-PCM appeared in the box and then powered off and then on again. It seemed like the volume increased after saving the settings. I've had this audio drop off problem for a long time and I appreciate your assistance very much. Hopefully, this will fix it. Thank you! 

0 Likes
jamesd3rd1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

You're not in the right spot ....

With everything turned ON and you watching a regular TV channel, you must press "power", "select", then "menu" (each individually and about 1/2 second apart directly on the STB) to bring up the STB configuration menu.  This will be a screen with a white background and black text -- the top line of which will read "User Settings".

What model STB do you have?

I have the same sound problem when the show is encoded in 2-channel dolby digital.  As long as it is in 3/2 dolby digital, the audio is fine.  Except on some commercials.  I went into that menu you referenced and changed the setting from 'Auto' to 'L-PCM' but that had no effect on 2-channel dobly digital shows.  I just recently swapped back to HDMI from component to cinduct this test because the same thing was happening when using the component video cable.  Except when using the component cable, the 'Additional HDMI settings' menu is not available.

I should mention that I use a Sony STR-DE845 receiver that does not support HDMI.  So I can only use the TosLink digital audio cable.  This is connected directtly from the DVR to the receiver and the HDMI goes from the DVR to the TV.  I'm on my third FIOS DVR.  My first one was the older 6416 model and there were never any problems until it died.  It was replaced with the 7216 and that's when the problems began.  That was replaced with the 7232 because the FIOS tech could not figured out what was happening.  Then two days later the problem started again.

Now there is no sound on 2-channel digital and some 3/2 digital commercials.  I know when I call Verizon again for about the 7th or 8th time about this very problem, they'll have me reboot the thing.  Then they'll remotely reset it.  But none of that will work because that is what they did every previous time.

0 Likes
raybeau

For the past two or more years I've had drop-off sound problems with FiOV TV that Verizon doesn;t appear to know how to fix.  They have reset my DVD box remotely a number of times anf told me that it was fixed or it was not their problem. Service reps have walked me through the menue, had me reset things twice and told me that the problem was fixed but  nothing has worked.  I have Diredct TV in the house and when I by-pass Verizon there is no problem with the TV Anyone else have this problem?

0 Likes
allison110

jamesd3rd, I'm having the same issue.  Have you found a fix?

I've got my Cisco CHS 435HDC.  It's connected to my Denon 3313CI via HDMI.  Audio seems to work fine with 3/2 dolby digital however if a show, or commercial is using 2 channel dolby digital the sound stops.  Audio immediatley begins working again when it switches back to 3/2.  I'm running the latest firmware on my AVR and other sources utilizing 2 channel audio over hdmi (PS3 and Computer) seem to work fine.  

0 Likes
jzmd

I have had the garbled sound to no audio until you switch to a different channel then back to original and then sound is fine since 2014. In November of 2017 I called support. They sent out a replacement STB, even though after reading all the forum knowing this would NOT solve the issue. It didn’t! However. I did find a solution. After receiving notification my service would increase to over $200 a month unless I agreed to a new 2 yr contract. I decided to complain more to get problem fixed and a lower rate. Even took issue to executive team and BBB. No change offered just service call after two weeks of this crap. Solution. Xfinity. Made the change Wednesday same bundle at $30 less per month and no aggravation. Thank you Verizon.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes