FIOS lacks ON DEMAND for TIVO users
jmikula19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does FIOS not have ON DEMAND available to customers using cable cards and TIVO? When I was with Comcast, they allowed cable card users with TIVO's to use the ON DEMAND feature.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS lacks ON DEMAND for TIVO users
jasonacg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a technical limitation in the technology. CableCARD devices, like TiVo, are one-way devices. Cable boxes provided by Verizon, have two-way communications.

As a user of a Ceton tuner, I'm in the same boat. But with four tuners, I usually have enough programming recorded, that I don't need on-demand.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because FiOS On Demand uses FiOS internet to control and deliver content.  TiVo doesn't have the proper internet connectivity or software to support FiOS On Demand.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
jasonacg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a technical limitation in the technology. CableCARD devices, like TiVo, are one-way devices. Cable boxes provided by Verizon, have two-way communications.

As a user of a Ceton tuner, I'm in the same boat. But with four tuners, I usually have enough programming recorded, that I don't need on-demand.

jmikula19
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just saying that with all the technology FIOS claims to have, they can not offer what Comcast seems to be able to offer to their customers with cable cards.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

@jmikula19 wrote:

Why does FIOS not have ON DEMAND available to customers using cable cards and TIVO? When I was with Comcast, they allowed cable card users with TIVO's to use the ON DEMAND feature.

Comcast with Xfinity is doing On Demand with TiVo so it is only a limitaion of Verizon. They could if they wanted to do it.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any one know what Comcast does that allows TIVO to do On-demand?

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
Threebicks
Comcast video on demand on tivo uses a hybrid system where outbound request for material and transport (play,pause,ff,rw) is sent via IP. Video is sent back to the cable card via the traditional vod method, likely involving a session-based qam video stream sent via the comcast network down the cable line to your tivo.
0 Likes
Threebicks
If anything it's *easier* for vz to implement vod on tivo than comcast. Their vod Is 100 percent ip based. This is not a technical limitation. It's a strategic decision on Verizon's part.
0 Likes
jmikula19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that information. So what your telling me is that Verizon won't give Tivo users On Demand, because they want to rent thier own equipment to keep making more money. Well when my 2 year contract is up in February, it's back to Comcast for me.

0 Likes