FIOS now charging for remotes?...I'm done!!!
trevsdad

In the 10-years I've had this service, Verizon FIOS has always replaced defective or dead remotes for us at no charge. I always thought this was a resonable response to a piece of equipment that has a reliable failure rate of somewhere between 6-months and a year. (...raise your hand if your remotes just stop working without misuse)

So I make my yearly call today to replace 2-remotes, one dead, one on its way out, and to my surprise, they want to charge me $15 for each remote??? are you kidding??? I already pay more than $200 for a service that, despite repeated attempts on my part, can't seem to get me under that price point even after I've suggested getting rid of dozens of channels, including premium that we don't watch.

BTW...I would gladly pay for the remote if the **bleep** thing wasn't so F%#@*%# cheap!!

I'm preparing to switch to a better,  less expesive option (Layer3,  Hulu streaming with stand alone HBO, Showtime, etc)

Dont' put up with this...do the same if you agree. 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS now charging for remotes?...I'm done!!!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Problem is that too many people were abusing the free replacements.

Allyou have to do is look on eBay for the number of FIOS remotes for sale.

0 Likes
vpocino

Not to mention that the remotes are Flinstone vintage. How about updating to 2017?

Voice Activation? Better UI? Horrible remotes regardless and I agree terrible quality. Unfortunately, your other choice is Comcast. I have always felt Verizon lesser of 2 evils.

0 Likes
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

As said people were abusing the free remotes and turning around and selling them. I dont blame them.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vpocino wrote:

Not to mention that the remotes are Flinstone vintage. How about updating to 2017?

Voice Activation? Better UI? Horrible remotes regardless and I agree terrible quality. Unfortunately, your other choice is Comcast. I have always felt Verizon lesser of 2 evils.

Note the IP based system they were testing has voice activation.

On the current model remotes,   Now is well in the past.  They decide to charge quite some time ago.

0 Likes
viciousd
Enthusiast - Level 2

If people abused the policy then Verizon should implement controls such as permitting 1 or 2 remotes annually depending on how many set top boxes you rent.  I'm sick of paying $15 fro a remote that lasts a year tops.  As the first commenter said, I'd happily pay the $15 if the remote lasted much longer.  I never had this problem with remotes when I had Dish or DirectTV.  Frankly, I'm sick of Verizon Fios anyway.  There is always a lag, and channels and the internet go out too often.  I've had to have the set top box replaced 3 times!!!  It is unacceptable to charge for the remotes.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have several remotes that have easily lasted 2-3 years already (if not longer).

Is it one particular key that quits functioning?

You can buy plenty of them online (check ebay).
There are hundreds.

BW, they did implement a one remote per box per year before stopping free altogether. All about business. Don't know if any of the other providers give free replacements (assuming you are not paying a monthly fee for it)

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Where I am you can walk into Time Warner’s/Spectrum offices and they hand them out for free at the door. My mother in law goes through loads of them. Her dogs chew them, or they play with them etc. 

there are third party remotes which if paired correctly with the original remotes code should work.

0 Likes