Fed up with Vms4100 lip sync issues
Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read all the forum responses to this issue. 

I have my VMS4100 connected to my TV via hdmi. I have my TV connected to my soundbar via eARC. Every fios channel that utilizes actual surround sound gives me audio DELAY. Therefore, any adjustments I can make via my TV or the fios box can only delay the audio further. There is no negative audio delay option and that's what I need. 

The audio delay is not tremendous. It's noticeable to me however. I can correct the delay by switching to LPCM in the user settings however this destroys my surround sound and simply outputs stereo. I've tried connecting the box directly to the soundbar and that does not fix the delay.

No other source gives me audio delay. My ps5, the native smart TV apps, my USB hard drive.. All are perfectly in sync with the video. The problem is the fios box. 

There are countless threads on this. On here. On reddit. I'm fed up with it. Fox News is a channel that outputs in stereo, regardless of what my box is set to. The audio is perfectly in sync. When I go to HBO, which is surround, the delay is present.

I've enabled audio passthrough within the audio menu on the box. I've tried Auto and Passthrough in the user settings in the "hidden menu". I've turned the lip sync option to Auto and Off. There is no fix to this. 

I'm very much open to suggestions but until enough people post about this, it will never get fixed. 

0 Likes
Re: Fed up with Vms4100 lip sync issues
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

I've read all the forum responses to this issue. 

I have my VMS4100 connected to my TV via hdmi. I have my TV connected to my soundbar via eARC. Every fios channel that utilizes actual surround sound gives me audio DELAY. Therefore, any adjustments I can make via my TV or the fios box can only delay the audio further. There is no negative audio delay option and that's what I need. 

The audio delay is not tremendous. It's noticeable to me however. I can correct the delay by switching to LPCM in the user settings however this destroys my surround sound and simply outputs stereo. I've tried connecting the box directly to the soundbar and that does not fix the delay.

No other source gives me audio delay. My ps5, the native smart TV apps, my USB hard drive.. All are perfectly in sync with the video. The problem is the fios box. 

There are countless threads on this. On here. On reddit. I'm fed up with it. Fox News is a channel that outputs in stereo, regardless of what my box is set to. The audio is perfectly in sync. When I go to HBO, which is surround, the delay is present.

I've enabled audio passthrough within the audio menu on the box. I've tried Auto and Passthrough in the user settings in the "hidden menu". I've turned the lip sync option to Auto and Off. There is no fix to this. 

I'm very much open to suggestions but until enough people post about this, it will never get fixed. 

Have you tried setting the TV to game mode? Is the firmware on the TV the latest? Is the firmware on the soundbar the latest? Is it a Samsung TV? Have you tried optical audio direct from the Fios box or from the tv to the soundbar?

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey thanks for replying. It's an LG CX OLED. Most recent firmware on the TV. Most recent firmware on the soundbar.

Instant game response is enabled on that hdmi input. I suppose I could try to tell the TV that the STB is a game console. Will try that.

I haven't tried optical because my TV is connected via earc. So using optical would mean I cant get dolby atmos from my soundbar, which I get through the native Netflix app. I can't use both earc and optical without having to change the audio output every time I want to change my source (ps5, native apps or stb). 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

Hey thanks for replying. It's an LG CX OLED. Most recent firmware on the TV. Most recent firmware on the soundbar.

Instant game response is enabled on that hdmi input. I suppose I could try to tell the TV that the STB is a game console. Will try that.

I haven't tried optical because my TV is connected via earc. So using optical would mean I cant get dolby atmos from my soundbar, which I get through the native Netflix app. I can't use both earc and optical without having to change the audio output every time I want to change my source (ps5, native apps or stb). 

If you listen to the Fios box with the TV speakers, not the soundbar, is the sync still off?

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey again. Yes, the delay is still present when using the internal TV speakers. But that was a smart question.

The delay is small enough that my wife cannot notice it. But I know it's there. And certain movies or channels are always the ones that illuminate it. Like I said, any channel that broadcasts in stereo has no audio delay at all. It's the ones that give surround sound that have it. And forcing stereo (lpcm in the user settings) eliminates it. 

I appreciate you trying to help. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

Hey again. Yes, the delay is still present when using the internal TV speakers. But that was a smart question.

The delay is small enough that my wife cannot notice it. But I know it's there. And certain movies or channels are always the ones that illuminate it. Like I said, any channel that broadcasts in stereo has no audio delay at all. It's the ones that give surround sound that have it. And forcing stereo (lpcm in the user settings) eliminates it. 

I appreciate you trying to help. 

I assume you tried all three options for audio in the basic audio menu on the box right? Did you try setting lipsync to off in the service menu then setting the audio delay to 0 or 1? Are you sending video out of the box in 2160P or 1080i? If 2160, do you have it set to 30P 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? Or is it set to 60P?

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

All three options as in Auto, Passthrough and Lpcm, right? Yes. All three. Lpcm fixes it but as mentioned before is not a real fix. Auto and passthrough have no difference in their functionality. 

It's 2160p 4:4:4. I don't know what 30p and 60p are. 

If I turn lip sync off, I can't adjust the audio delay. I can adjust it if it's set to manual. However, it only goes positive and since my audio is lagging behind my video, I need a negative value. 

0 Likes
Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's also worth mentioning that whenever I tinker with these user settings... A day or so later, they always revert back to Auto for both output and lipsync. They never stick. Including the video sharpness setting. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Abizzlenyc wrote:

It's also worth mentioning that whenever I tinker with these user settings... A day or so later, they always revert back to Auto for both output and lipsync. They never stick. Including the video sharpness setting. 

That's strange that your settings dont stick for more than a few days. Maybe that box is bad. Can you try swapping that box for a mini and see if the problem goes away? Also you are forcing the box to re-sample the signal by enabling 4:4:4 video. It should be set to 4:2:2 at least for the near future. I thought there was a 30p and 60p option in the service menu under additional HDMI settings. Should be 30p. Have you tried setting the box to 1080i and letting your TV do the up sampling?

Abizzlenyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried 1080i, albeit in the video menu of the non service menu. I keep it at 2160p because I noticed no difference and because I occasionally get to watch football in 4k on channel 1498. And some on demand stuff is in 4k also. So id have to switch back and forth when I wanted to watch 4k content.

Do you think it's possible that video settings, such as resolution of color depth.. Can have an effect on audio? 

0 Likes