FiOS STB jumping one channel when changing channels via Tivo Series 2 box
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem has been reported in several places (e.g., here and here), but the Verizon thread has been closed to new comments, so I'm starting a new thread with this post.

I have a FiOS Motorola STB connected to my Series 2 Tivo via the serial cable. About 10-20% of the time, when the TiVo changes channels on the STB, it goes to the right channel and then the STB jumps one channel - causing TiVo to record the wrong program.  Other times, when changing channels via the TiVo remote, the STB will go crazy, changing to all kinds of random channels.  This goes on for several seconds, like the TiVo and STB are fighting over which channel to change to.  Ultimately one of them gives up and it ends up on the wrong channel.  This happens most often if I try to change channels quickly (e.g., hit the channel up button several times).

Related to this problem, if the STB changes to a channel that we don't subscribe to, a Verizon screensaver will eventually be displayed.  We recebtly came home from a weekend away only to find that our TiVo had recorded hours and hours of the Verizon screensaver!

Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating for us.  This same setup worked flawlessly with Comcast, who uses the same Motorola box here in New England.  We love TiVo and need it to work, to the point where we're considering switching back to Comcast if we can't get this working reliably with FiOS.

I've thought about getting a new TiVo and using the cable card, but then you can't use things like on-demand and pay-per-view.  I'm also going to try switching to the IR blaster rather than the serial cable, but that seems like a real hack to me.

If anyone has found a solution that works, please reply.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS STB jumping one channel when changing channels via Tivo Series 2 box
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been running for a few weeks now with the IR cables on both my TiVo's and have had no problems (knock on wood).  Also, I set them up to enter the minimal number of digits followed by the Enter button, and now channel changing is much faster and never skips a channel.

If you can't find your IR cable, you can order one from the TiVo store.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the standby thing is kinda been dealt with, 

TiVO users have reported that when connecting it to a Verizon QIP 2500 STB, that the STB will enter into a standby mode. Instead of recording the desired program the TiVO unit records the Verizon Standby Message.

Solution: TiVO users have not deselected the High Definition channels from their TiVO channel list AND have TiVO suggestions turned on.

TiVO Users are to try the following.

Go to:

1. Tivo Central

Messages & Settings

Settings

Channels

Channel List

...Page down and deselect each HD channel

• TiVO users may also want to deselect channels that are not on their cable line-up

2. Messages & Settings

Settings

Recording

Tivo Suggestions...change to No

--------------------------------------------------------------

that fixes problem number 1.

the first problem that you talked about MAY be fixed with a STB secret command.   it loosely sounds like the problem where the STB is unable to land on correct channels.   so give it a try and let us know if it worked.

use the fios menu, go to settings, and then go to system info.     when you get to system info you will notice it doesn't have any configurations that you can manipulate, but at this screen you want to simply press 2617   you will see a message on your screen that says "code 2617 executed succesfully"  you press ok, and then it should reset your verizon cable box.   

if it doesn't reset, then simply power cycle it afterwards.   again the problem loosely sounds like how I described it, so if they are related then the 2617 may in fact fix that issue.

godspeed sir!

0 Likes
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Hubrisnxs.  I entered the 2617 code, the STB restarted, but I would have to say that the channel skipping problem actually got worse, not better.  Before it would happen maybe 10-20% of the time for most channels and almost 100% of the time for certain channels (e.g., 242).  After entering the code, it now seems to happen 90% of the time on all channels.

Do you have another code to try?  If not, how do I undo the 2617 code and see if it gets better?  I'm willing to try some different things and work with you to try to figure this out.

Re: the Verizon standy message - I had already removed all of the channels that I don't receive, not just the HD channels.  This certainly helps, but I still get cases where the STB involuntarily switches to a channel that I don't receive, usually due to the issue mentioned above, and then I end up with hours of screensaver recorded.  I think if I can solve the first problem above, I'll elminate most of my issues with the screensaver as well.

Thanks for your help! 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wow, got worse?!   never had that happen before.   that code clears non volitle memory,    and so just like a pc you want to do that every once in a great while.  I would try the same code again to see if it clears it.  if it does not then power cycling the vz box for a few minutes may help clear it.  

let me know if it doesn't, and I can take a look.  there are a bunch of codes that someone can use but only the 2617 deals with that, 

0 Likes
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No luck.  I unplugged and restarted both the Tivo and the STB, and I still have the problem.  Any help appreciated - thanks.

0 Likes
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: somehow I found my TiVo IR cable (from at least 5 years ago), hooked it up, and so far it appears to be working correctly with no channel jumps.

I also talked with Leon from Verizon tech support about this.  He was surprised that the serial port was working at all on my STB.  He said that Motorola is supposed to be shipping them to Verizon with the serial ports disabled.  He was going to check into it and report back on this thread what he finds out.

Leon - I'm still interested in what you find out re: the serial cable since I have another TiVo and doubt that I'll be lucky enough to find a second IR cable laying around.  Thanks.

I'm willing to try other ideas to get the serial cable working properly.

0 Likes
lisa971

I am not having the same problem as you but I have been using the serial port since 12/08 and it has not been working at all for the past week.  I tried a new wire too and nothing.  I am guessing it was disabled somehow or something else is going on. Guess I will have to go back to the IR cable as well but I never had much success with those.  The serial never misfired for me.

0 Likes
ACABThomas1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been running for a few weeks now with the IR cables on both my TiVo's and have had no problems (knock on wood).  Also, I set them up to enter the minimal number of digits followed by the Enter button, and now channel changing is much faster and never skips a channel.

If you can't find your IR cable, you can order one from the TiVo store.

0 Likes
KettleGriller

Thanks.  Good fix!

We have also been running with the Tivo Series 2 Serial Cable to change channels on our Motorola Set Top Box for over two years.  Channel changing problems would only occur when the Verizon channel lineup changed.  Starting this summer the problem would occur weekly.  Starting a couple months ago the problem occurred nearly daily. 

Tivo would navigate to the desired channel, then the channel would flip up one or down by one station.  So most recordings in the 400s (e.g. HBO, Showtime) would record the wrong station or show.  If the station above or below the target was a premium station Tivo would record the black screen of "You are not subscribed".  

Switching from Serial to IR fixed the problem.

0 Likes