FiOS TV One VMS4100 DVR keeps unmuting itself (Vizio OLED55-H1 TV, V51-H6 Sound bar)
Schnoz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded to the FiOS TV One VMS4100. I have it connected to a Vizio OLED55-H1 TV using HDMI. The TV is connected to a V51-H6 Sound bar using HDMI-ARC. Whenever I mute the audio (regardless of whether I use the TV, sound bar, or STB remote), it works for a few seconds then the audio is somehow unmuted on its own. It starts by cutting audio in for a couple of seconds every 30 seconds to a minute or so, then eventually just completely unmutes. The timing just seem completely random. I had the exact same connections with the VMS1100 and never had an issue.

I tried messing around with all the settings I could find on both the TV and the STB, including going into the "user settings" menu, but I couldn't get any combination that works.

If I use an optical connection from the TV to the sound bar instead of ARC, the issue never comes up, though I start having lip sync issues. I could tweak the settings in the TV menu to fix that, but I am just not quite able to get it right (or maybe I'm just going crazy at this point).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 DVR keeps unmuting itself (Vizio OLED55-H1 TV, V51-H6 Sound bar)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Schnoz wrote:

I just upgraded to the FiOS TV One VMS4100. I have it connected to a Vizio OLED55-H1 TV using HDMI. The TV is connected to a V51-H6 Sound bar using HDMI-ARC. Whenever I mute the audio (regardless of whether I use the TV, sound bar, or STB remote), it works for a few seconds then the audio is somehow unmuted on its own. It starts by cutting audio in for a couple of seconds every 30 seconds to a minute or so, then eventually just completely unmutes. The timing just seem completely random. I had the exact same connections with the VMS1100 and never had an issue.

I tried messing around with all the settings I could find on both the TV and the STB, including going into the "user settings" menu, but I couldn't get any combination that works.

If I use an optical connection from the TV to the sound bar instead of ARC, the issue never comes up, though I start having lip sync issues. I could tweak the settings in the TV menu to fix that, but I am just not quite able to get it right (or maybe I'm just going crazy at this point).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Try going to menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video input control, and  disable it.

View solution in original post

Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 DVR keeps unmuting itself (Vizio OLED55-H1 TV, V51-H6 Sound bar)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Schnoz wrote:

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Try going to menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video input control, and  disable it.

Schnoz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sure enough, that was it! It didn't even occur to me to look under video settings for audio issues. Thanks for your help.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Schnoz wrote:

Sure enough, that was it! It didn't even occur to me to look under video settings for audio issues. Thanks for your help.

Not exactly intuitive....but it sounded like a CEC issue, and that's where Verizon buried CEC control for the Fios One.