FiOS TV One can't find FiOS router.
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, some quick back ground on my setup.

I am using Google Wifi to run my network, and the Quantum router is a client of that. Basically looks like:

ONT (ethernet) -> Google Wifi -> Quantum router (which is also connected to coax)

With this all my quantum devices work like a champ. DVR, guide, OD, yada yada.

So, I got my new fiOS TV One boxes today, and went to set up the server. It failed because it could not find the FiOS router. All my set top boxes are connected via coax as is my quantum router...

Any ideas??

0 Likes
Re: FiOS TV One can't find FiOS router.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've heard you have to have quantum router as primary to activate.

Try temporarily removing Google router.

0 Likes
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, interesting. So you think if I temporarily put fios router first I should be able to activate and then restore my original setup?

Is that true with the other hardware (they may have been activated by a technician for me)?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe so.

0 Likes
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure I can release the IP address from my google wifi.

Do you know if they can activate over the phone?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The basic setup should be to use the junk Quantum router as your connection to the internet (receive dhcp) then install your google WiFi in a access point mode. Disable the WiFi on the Quantum after your google is functioning. 

This way if the TV 1 needs the Quantum it has it. And you can use the better WiFi and stability of google for the rest of your home. You also get to have more lan ports for use under this setup. And if you add a switch you have even more connections.

you see the new tv1 stb should work with your own router. Unless Verizon found another way to generate income.

BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea, that works for some things, but it has a couple of problems.

First it would basically be a "double NAT" meaning you basically have two networks to go through before you get to the internet. Not a super significant issue, but not optimal.

But the bigger problem is that all the devices running on the google wifi would not be on the same network as all the verizon STBs. So if I were to run the FiOS mobile app on any device to watch TV, it would basically think I am away from home and not give me access to things like the DVR and some channels.

I'm basically trying to avoid that setup.

Is there some way I can release the IP address from the ONT? The google wifi router doesn't actually give you the option...

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just plug in the Verizon router to activate the old VMS boxes didn’t like other routers for activation either.  

You shouldn’t have to break the lease. I don’t have to anymore. I think Verizon can assign multiple IPs now. 

0 Likes
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, so I swapped things around for a quick test, so ONT connected to quantum router. Top light was solid so I assume that means it got an IP just fine.

Still I am unable to activate with the same error (unable to find fios router).

0 Likes
NegativeProto

I am having the same issue. I tried plugging in my new FiOS TV One media server and it gives the same can't find router error. I also use Google WiFi. 

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Likes