FiOS TV STB/DVR Keeps Switching Back To 720p!
DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Folks,

Love the FiOS TV service, and the image quality is in fact better than DirecTV, which we also love. 

The one issue we are having is that we leave the STB/DVR on when the TV is off, and after a period of time, it switches back to 720p (even if we set it manually to 1080i) the next time we turn the TV on.  This seems to happen when the STB/DVR goes in to Screen Saver mode, and comes out of Screen Saver mode when we turn the TV back on.  It is VERY frustrating!

Right now, I turned off the Screen Saver on the STB/DVR in hopes that we never are switched back to 720p again.

Anyone else having this issue?  If so, have you found a solution?

Thank you!

BTW: Check your STB/DVR setting too!  Chances are your STB/DVR may also be setting your TV back to 720p if you enabled the STB/DVR Screen Saver too!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS TV STB/DVR Keeps Switching Back To 720p!
DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DarkDune wrote:

@PJL wrote:

Make sure the receiver is turned off first before the TV If not, the STB sees the receiver as the active HDMI unit and renegotiates the resolution settings to that of the receiver, which is apparently 720p. There are threads on this on problem with Yamaha receivers other forums.

Fantastic!  This is the next thing I was trying late last night before going to sleep.  Originally I was not turning the STB/DVR off, thinking it would have to renegotiate the connection to FiOS since we had some trouble with the initial install.

Late last night I reprogrammed our Harmony One remote to use the PowerToggle button to turn the STB/DVR off when not in use, and I think that did the trick.  I will also re-check the power-on and power-off order later.

This answer above makes complete sense to me.  Home Theater has been a hobby of mine for some 16 years.  There is always something that seems ridiculous until the reason is discovered!

Thank you!

Here is a view of what we have -- if you are interested:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=DarkDune

The FiOS STB/DVR is where that DirecTV box was...thankfully!

Ah!  It happened again!

Here is what I did to resolve this COMPLETELY!

I switched the Video Option on the STB/DVR to "Native", and disabled (unchecked) 720p, 480p, and 480i -- leaving 1080i, 1080p, and 1080p24 as really the only options.  Since this change, the STB/DVR hasn't switched back to 720p since it "thinks" our HDTV is only capable of accepting 1080p-type Video.

I am SO happy now!  Thanks to all for your thoughts and input.

No we can just sit back and WATCH FiOS TV 🙂

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

How are you connected from the DVR to the TV?

When I had a 6416 I had the component connected directly to the TV, and I had the HDMI connected to my Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver. Whenever I would turn on my receiver, my 6416 would lose it's SD Overide setting. The fix for me was to turn off "MONITOR CHECK" in the Advanced Setup Menu of the receiver.

If you are connecte to an HDMI receiver, check to see if you have this sort of option.

Something like this has happened before.  Do you by chance have a receiver for surround sound in the picture, OR a TIVO unit?

0 Likes
DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

How are you connected from the DVR to the TV?

When I had a 6416 I had the component connected directly to the TV, and I had the HDMI connected to my Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver. Whenever I would turn on my receiver, my 6416 would lose it's SD Overide setting. The fix for me was to turn off "MONITOR CHECK" in the Advanced Setup Menu of the receiver.

If you are connecte to an HDMI receiver, check to see if you have this sort of option.

Something like this has happened before.  Do you by chance have a receiver for surround sound in the picture, OR a TIVO unit?

I have an AV receiver that the FiOS TV's HDMI goes in to, and then from the AV receiver there is another HDMI going to the TV.
I really think it is from the Screen Saver setting, that seems to reset the STB/DVR to operate at 720p.  I am going to test seeing if turning off the Screen Saver fixes this...it is just bizarre IMHO.  If you set a STB/DVR to work at 1080i, shouldn't is stay working at 1080i?
0 Likes
DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

Settings --> Video Settings --> Video Format --> 720p (after set to 1080i 30 minutes or so ago)

Again!

I keep setting it to 1080i, and after some 30 minutes or so with the AV Receiver and TV off, and the STB/DVR on, it keeps going back to 720p!

Freakin' Bizarre!

Anyone have any idea how to fix that?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Make sure the receiver is turned off first before the TV If not, the STB sees the receiver as the active HDMI unit and renegotiates the resolution settings to that of the receiver, which is apparently 720p. There are threads on this on problem with Yamaha receivers other forums.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

PJL FTW. 

I believe that is going to be your answer. 

DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

@PJL wrote:

Fantastic!  This is the next thing I was trying late last night before going to sleep.  Originally I was not turning the STB/DVR off, thinking it would have to renegotiate the connection to FiOS since we had some trouble with the initial install.

Late last night I reprogrammed our Harmony One remote to use the PowerToggle button to turn the STB/DVR off when not in use, and I think that did the trick.  I will also re-check the power-on and power-off order later.

This answer above makes complete sense to me.  Home Theater has been a hobby of mine for some 16 years.  There is always something that seems ridiculous until the reason is discovered!

Thank you!

0 Likes
DarkDune
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DarkDune wrote:

@PJL wrote:

Thank you!

Ah!  It happened again!

I switched the Video Option on the STB/DVR to "Native", and disabled (unchecked) 720p, 480p, and 480i -- leaving 1080i, 1080p, and 1080p24 as really the only options.  Since this change, the STB/DVR hasn't switched back to 720p since it "thinks" our HDTV is only capable of accepting 1080p-type Video.

Alour
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Yamaha Rx-v6a receiver and am having a similar issue which is driving me crazy. I have a Benq ht3550i projector hooked up via hdmi to the yamaha and the fios one ipc4100 box hooked up via hdmi to the yamaha. I have the 2160p video format set on the fios box which in turn makes the resolution Hdr10 on the projector and am quite happy with the picture quality. When I turn the system off it will go back to 1080i and it is noticeable immediately. I then have to go back every time and change the resolution in the fios box back to 2160p. At times it won't even take the change which is odd and I have to unplug the hdmi and replug it in. This is incredibly annoying, what is the solution? 

@DarkDune wrote:

@DarkDunewrote:

@PJLwrote:

Thank you!

Ah!  It happened again!

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now eight years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes