Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards
JerseyJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2
No, Verizon will not let you use any CableCARD you're not renting from them.
0 Likes
jfranch

Had install today of my 2 cablecards.   Installer had me sign sheet but no price or cost on it. 

Had my Tivo#1 S cards replaced with 1 M card and 1 M card put into my new Tivo#2. 

All good.  So just comes down to billing not screwing me.

I am in Southern NJ FWIW.

0 Likes
AARGH

So has anyone outside of NJ been able to swap their S cards for M cards?  I am reluctant to try again, after my 1st attempt as the VZ folks on the phone were telling me a completely different line than what folks are reporting here.  I live in Northern VA and am still upset that after placing order and being as detailed as possible I still got stuck with S cards...

0 Likes
lisagoblue

I too just scheduled my CableCARD install and was shocked to have the CSR tell me of the $80 truck fee.  I figured there would be a fee, but $80 seems insanely steep for something that takes all of ten minutes.  This is (or was??) clearly Verizon trying to keep people on their multi-room DVR (which I tried for a few months and can't stand, after having HD Tivo on DirecTV for years).

Anyway, I'll be checking back to see how folks have done with their billing...hoping the truck fee never materializes on my bill...

0 Likes
jfranch

1st bill post CC exchange/install (M Card) and no service charge.     So far so good.   

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

I got 4 s-cards originally here in Boston for 2 TivoHD units.

When M-cards became available, 2 months ago, they CALLED ME and scheduled a FREE TRUCK ROLL to change them out.

0 Likes
Socomwiz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got a new TiVO HD unit and here's what I just expireanced to get set up. I gave account/edit section a call and had a channel removed. Next I inquired about returning a HD Box. Go to ups send box for free yada yada.

Next regarding cable cards I was told they (reps) are instructed to send two cards priced at 3.99 per month each. I asked if those cards were single or multi stream and he didn't know. I pushed further and he went to ask a sup. and was told they didn't offer multi-stream cards so I would be sent two singles. There was no disscussions about truck rolls or tech installs, the issue went straight to them being sent in 5 days. So I said OK.

Maybe I should have asked about wheather or not I'd need a tech or truck rolls but I didn't. Do you guys think the cards will get shipped out before I get some call about how a tech needs to install? Also if no calls comes will I be able to set up without any problems, plug and play without verizon having to be here to activate them?

edit: ~Jay, Camarillo, California.

0 Likes
fernlab

I am researching getting a Tivo HD-XL. Just got off the phone wth customer service. The rep was trying to find anywhere in writing where it clarified whether there is a charge for the truck roll or not. Finally she decided to place a "fake" order for a Cablecard. She went thru the whole process and was told that it requires a technician to install. At the end of the order there was not a charge for the truck roll.

She said that the only time she sees the $79 truck roll fee is when people opt out of self-install opportunities (like a DVR). In that case, they charge the $79 truck roll. She surmized that because we were not given an option to opt-out because the tech is required, then there is not the $79 fee. This may or may not be the case. But after it was all said and done, the resulting order DID NOT have any truck roll or installation fee associated with it.

Will post back when I do it for real in the next couple of weeks.

Yes I made sure she cancelled the "fake" order.

0 Likes
TexasTim

Not to stir the pot...but I just got off the phone with a CSR and they said $80 truck roll fee. He said the guys here (employees) didnt know what they were talking about, that they dont work inbilling. He said his billing index said that there is a truck roll fee and they cant do anything about it.

I asked to talk to his boss and he said I cant because the bosses are taking call. Nice to know there is no one above him to talk to.

He also said that everyone on here that didnt get charged was lying, and that there is always a $80 truck roll fee. He said that there is no memo that went out about free truck roll fees.

Lastly, he said there is no office or location to stop by and get a card installed. He said I have to pay $80 for the truck roll fee if I want a cable card. 

I guess I have to call back Wednesday (apparently I wont be able to speak to a supervisor until then because the supervisors answer phones on Mon/Tues).

0 Likes
TexasTim

Well...here we go again. Talked to someone in billing and he went to schedule a cable card install and there was no truck charge.  Bad news is Tivo wants to charge me more a month for their service (was on a grandfathered plan). So now, after all the hassle, it looks like Verizon's HD-DVR is cheaper than going with Tivo 😞  I love my tivo

0 Likes