Fios TV One setup
billysworld
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had Fios internet only since 2013.

There's cat5 from the service pole to the Verizon ONT. The ethernet port is connected and run directly to the WAN/Internet port of the Asus router. This is situated in the main level of the house.

The office is on the second level and theres an Asus access point. The access point is connected using a lan port via cat5 to the Asus router on the main level.

DHCP disabled on both main router and the access point. Static IP addresses assigned.

Internet is working without issue.

Fast forward to December 2020. Upgraded the internet speed to gigabyte connection and wanted to try Fios TV.

Ran RG6 cable from the Verizon ONT to the 2 way splitter At the splitter connected one line to the Verizon G3100 router. Of course no Verizon rep told me that I needed to use a Vrizon router.

The other coaxial  connects to  second two way splitter.

At the second spiltter there are two  rg6 cables connected. These rg6s cables previously connected to the directv dvrs.

The Verizon router is not setup as primary, its configured as a bridge. DHCP disabled, static IP address assigned. WiFi is  disabled

I am able to access the admin page of the router using the static IP address.

When I connect the first of the Fios TV One (4100) the setup fails. The message is unable to detect router.

Should I configure the Verizon router as primary and disable WiFi. I j want to use the Verizon router for TV only. If the Verizon router is set as primary the wan/internet port should be connected. The Asus router is then connected via the lan ports?

Do I need to release the IP before doing any of this?

Can I still connect the Asus and Asus access point and use that for internet?

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV One setup
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The G3100 has to be the primary router during activation, after that you can do you current setup. 

billysworld
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I make the G3100 primary, then make the Asus that was primary an access point?

If I hide the wireless network of the G3100 will that interfere with anything?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@billysworld wrote:

If I hide the wireless network of the G3100 will that interfere with anything?

Not unless you connect a mini box via wifi. Other than that, you should be fine. 

billysworld
Enthusiast - Level 2

After making the Verizon router primary the two STBs activated.

There was a warning message about internet strength maybe too high or low which may cause poor picture quality. Please call Verizon technical support.

Is this something I have to worry about?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@billysworld wrote:

After making the Verizon router primary the two STBs activated.

There was a warning message about internet strength maybe too high or low which may cause poor picture quality. Please call Verizon technical support.

Is this something I have to worry about?

Only if you try to connect the minis via WiFi. Not the best method, wired either via coax or ethernet is recommended. If you need to do them WiFi, use a wireless extender wired to the mini.

billysworld
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have one mini left to setup. Waiting on delivery of an eight way splitter so I can connect via coaxial.

Here’s another question.

Now that all STBs and the pending mini are on-line is there any issue making the Verizon G3100 router into a bridge. disable wifi and broadcast SSID. Only want to use the G1 for tv services.

Will I lose any tv features if I do this?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@billysworld wrote:

Have one mini left to setup. Waiting on delivery of an eight way splitter so I can connect via coaxial.

Here’s another question.

Now that all STBs and the pending mini are on-line is there any issue making the Verizon G3100 router into a bridge. disable wifi and broadcast SSID. Only want to use the G1 for tv services.

Will I lose any tv features if I do this?

You shouldn't have any issues as long as the 3100 is in the system. Worst case is making it the primary in order to get firmware updates on occation.

billysworld
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since my STBs are moca connected is there any issue disabling WiFi on the G3100?

There are two access points that are used for WiFi. The first AP is connected to the LAN port on theG3100. The second AP is connected to the LAN port of the first AP. Should the second AP connect to the LAN port of the G3100?

Static IP assigned to both APs and DHCP is disabled. Should they be using the same gateway as the G3100?

0 Likes