Fios box - difficult to open. Cant permanently disable beeping.
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

why is this fios box so hard to open up?  it seems to open from the top, but must be attached on the right or something.  cant find any latch there.  Should be easier to open.  The audio disable is only temporary so i need to pull the battery, but cant.

There should be a permanent beep disable button.  I already know the battery needs to be replaced so i turn off that beep.. and then it just comes back? 

Another issue is the 'Request Entity too Large' message i get when trying to access the forum with Google chrome.  i dont get that with IE.  it is annoying.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios box - difficult to open. Cant permanently disable beeping.
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, that is the box i couldnt open.  There was no number to provide you though for that box so i supplied the only one i could find on the box below it.  I guess both boxes are indoors for me.  

Anyway, the answer was that you just pull it really hard and it pops open. The Fios guy came out and just used force. I was worried about breaking something. I was a little upset because no one said i just needed to pull it.. and that was the answer.

The Fios tech who was great btw, said that even if i had yanked out the battery, it still would beep so i didnt feel that bad.  It is older technology i guess. He put in a new power source.  All is good now and no beeping!!  status: RESOLVED.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As there are several models, can you either post a pic or list model number?

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

all i could find is SFH ONT 612.  i think it is an older model. Top part seems like opens from top, but seems to be locked on right side.  Tough to open.

ANy answer for the other issue? i think i already may have asked that in past anyway.  i wil just use IE for forum instead of Google Chrome until that is fixed.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT is the outdoor unit.

It has the electronics for fiber to TV and phone conversion.

The battery is located inside your house in a box that has the buttons and status light.

Check here for details:

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup

And funny story, I had the Entity too large issue in Firefox while trying to respond to this post.

Clear cookies and restart browser. That should clear it (at least did for me).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that part of the box is never meant to be open by the customer.  Just the section that has the jacks and lights, and for some models the battery.  Other models the batteries are in a seperate unit that is the power supply and battery backup.

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

The box is in the inside of my house though, not outside.  There are technically 2 boxes i guess one on top of the other. i cant find any numbers on it.  Top part in upper box opens a little or is a little loose , but is locked on right side.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you look at the link I posted?

The box that has the silence button is the one that has the battery.

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, that is the box i couldnt open.  There was no number to provide you though for that box so i supplied the only one i could find on the box below it.  I guess both boxes are indoors for me.  

Anyway, the answer was that you just pull it really hard and it pops open. The Fios guy came out and just used force. I was worried about breaking something. I was a little upset because no one said i just needed to pull it.. and that was the answer.

The Fios tech who was great btw, said that even if i had yanked out the battery, it still would beep so i didnt feel that bad.  It is older technology i guess. He put in a new power source.  All is good now and no beeping!!  status: RESOLVED.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the three different models I had, one was behind a swing out door that also exposed the user accessible part of the Ont, and two where behind a panel on a separate Battery Backup unit with a little tab you pressed slightly in and then slid off. 

0 Likes