Fios support for Apple TV single sign on
kwmorrow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone else patiently waiting for Apple TV single sign on support? Keep getting bombarded with surveys for enhancements to the useless cable boxes but nothing about external devices to watch content. They could add Apple TV support easily if they wanted. After all, you have to authenticate against your Fios account to use the apps anyway so automating this is not hard. I think this is more about protecting set top box revenue than a technical issue.

Re: Fios support for Apple TV single sign on
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What does FiOS get by supporting it?

And having to support it if apple makes changes?

Look at the issues people are having with FiOS app when iOS is updated.

Don't the apps remember signing once you have logged in?

They do on my roku. So SSO would save me a couple of minutes once.

0 Likes
ParagLohiya
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry to say but you have no idea of how SSO works.

there are more than 25 apps that you have to individually sign in every month as it will check for your plan. It’s not just three min.

with SSO you won’t have to do anything just sign in when you setup and every thing is sim less Apple does the hard lifting.

its not Apple that broke the app for Verizon it’s verizon which is trying to be greedy and does not want to give anything out.

i tried direct tv now and it worked very well with SSO and was piece of cake.

i should be allowed to use what ever device I want and don’t like to pay stupid $10 for that idiot set top box that too in every room. This is just a rip off

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That was my point.

With my Roku box, I sign in once and can use it for months without having to sign in again. I can't say I have tried all, but have tried a number and don't have to log in month after month.

I would question why Apple is requiring you to relogin every month.

Maybe that is why they developed SSO.

This is the first time I have heard anyone complain about having to sign in to streaming apps on a monhtly basis.

0 Likes
StylesVerrutos
Enthusiast - Level 1

W R O N G. Sorry but flat logic. SSO makes the MOST sense and being petty about “having to log in” is not the point. It’s a feature set t make the entire experience more fluid. How does Verizon benefit? Well from preventing me from looking for an alternate provider that DOES give me the full freedom to do what’s available to customers of a myriad of far smaller companies. I pay over $250 a month. Just do it already. 

StylesVerrutos
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I am with YOU. Patiently awaiting them to flip a switch they are CLEARLY not doing (nor is/will COMCA$T) and it’s about money and control which is bothersome. COME ON VERIZON - MAKE IT SO

Cerebud
Enthusiast - Level 2

AppleTV apps do remember, but if you don’t use them for a while, they log you out. Single sign on is the best answer, and no, it’s not like the app. It would be much simpler than that and wouldn’t be subject to Apple’s OS, but each vendor’s app. 

joshNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely- although I can't say that I'm patiently waiting for SSO anymore.  We use the Apple TV almost exclusively to watch content on individual apps, primarily making the switch when Verizon restructured the On Demand menus and have made it a nightmare to navigate the glitchy, slow, interface.  

We pay almost $250.00 a month and it's ridiculous that Verizon can't establish SSO for Apple TV users, especially if they're not going to address the abhorrent user experience they forced on us with the last upgrade.  We've weathered the poor customer service, unannounced service outages, spotty internet speed, and overall disappointing experience as a FiOS customer, but the SSO issue may be what finally causes us to throw in the towel.

igorsky
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry to dredge up an old thread...I'm in the same boat.  Pretty ludicrous that Verizon, with all it's resources, cannot devote some time to activate this feature, which is specifically meant to benefit the consumer.  Judging by their response to SSO, expecting them to update the Fios Mobile app so that it looks halfway decent is useless as well.

ParkerV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Cable box rental is a profit center for the cable companies. If Verizon provided SSO for Apple TV people might ditch their cable boxes.

Better to continue screwing their customers with excessive cable box fees and channel bundles of which 80% of the channels never get watched.

All these big cable companies deserve a trip to oblivion. They forgot their customers a long time ago.